Kings Own full history & photos on (excellent) website

Topics about the Infantry Regiment with connections to the Border Regiment.

Kings Own full history & photos on (excellent) website

Postby plbramham » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:27 am

Take a look at this superb regimental museum website – one of the very best I have ever seen, featuring on-line exhibitions, photographs, histories , and items on display at the Museum:

http://www.kingsownmuseum.plus.com/museum03.htm

Sited in the very middle of Lancaster in the pedestrianised city centre, the museum is free to visit and has over 30 thousand artefacts such and paintings and photographs, war diaries and letters, equipment and weapons, insignia and uniforms. The displays are very attractively laid out and informative with clear labelling. (There's the obligatory mock trench of course!)
Because of the regiment’s proximity and crossover in recruiting areas with The Border Regiment, there are a lot of items and images relating to both regiments such as locations, actions, and events.
If you live to far away to visit, this brilliant website will show you round and probably give a couple of hours reading matter! (Note especially in the photo gallery numerous images of the 1959 amalgamation of Kings Own and Border to form KORBR)
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Re: Kings Own full history & photos on (excellent) website

Postby kerchi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:40 am

This is an excellent website Paul, would be nice if the Border Regiment Museum had something similar; easy to navigate and a plethora of information.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:59 pm

Would you dare suggest it to Stuart Eastwood? He actually used to be the curator at Lancaster before he came to Carlisle, hence why he wrote the book "Lions of England" about the the Kings Own, before "Lions and Dragons" about the KORBR. I wish he'd do a similar book for The Border Regiment, "Tried and Valiant" is not in the same vein and certainly lacks photos ( and detailed information). Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:36 pm

plbramham wrote:Would you dare suggest it to Stuart Eastwood? He actually used to be the curator at Lancaster before he came to Carlisle, hence why he wrote the book "Lions of England" about the the Kings Own, before "Lions and Dragons" about the KORBR. I wish he'd do a similar book for The Border Regiment, "Tried and Valiant" is not in the same vein and certainly lacks photos ( and detailed information). Paul

Would I dare suggest it to Stuart Eastwood? In a word, no. As much as I like the King's Own website and as much as I would love to see something similar for the Border Regiment Museum, the work they are doing outweighs the amount of time it would take to create an all encomapsssing archival website.

Saying that, this is the kind of stuff I would love to do....adding archival information to a website. If it was my sole job I could make it pretty darned amazing as it is something I have always wanted to do.

I still haven't managed to read Lions and Dragons much to my own shame and I totally agree, Tried and Valiant would be a better read with some illustrations to back the text up.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)