Quick Kendal WW1 one day trip guide

Topics about the Regiment during the Great War.

Quick Kendal WW1 one day trip guide

Postby plbramham » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:33 pm

One day Kendal Border Regiment visit. (I could actually give you a week long tour of Kendal and South Lakeland sites! e.g Milnthorpe, very important)
On one day though, I would suggest the main things are:
1) Parkside Road cemetery- lots of Border headstones. – see CWGC (Maybe leave the family at the nearby K Village shopping centre for an hour? So they don’t get bored!)
2) Not far away, on the way back. Kendal parish church Border Regiment chapel. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2694&p=7239&hilit=kendal+border+chapel#p7239 Includes the Border roll of honour I helped to produce, memorials, plus the China dragon standard ( as in the middle of the regimental badge). Also a 55th (Westmoreland) Regiment Crimea memorial. Though large it’s rather hidden, see: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=2594&p=6957&hilit=crimea#p6957 Obviously for churches, Saturdays not good - weddings, and of course not not Sunday.
3 ) Town centre /war memorial/ Town Hall/ museum, Depending when you came , the WW1 exhibition may be on
4) Kendal castle? Not really actually Border Regt but interesting? Though Border Regt did train up there for WW1 and previous Border volunteers and 55th Regt did camp in there when training see: viewtopic.php?f=145&t=1826
WW1 exhibition in town Hall are dates:
Town Hall: Monday 28th July to Saturday 9th August ( not Sundays or evenings) then at Kendal Museum for four - five weeks depending on availability from 16th August.
Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Re: Quick Kendal WW1 one day trip guide

Postby kerchi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:05 pm

I feel like I know these places from your posts and emails, however, they are no substitution for seeing the real deal and when I have time off after our move later in the year I might just have to complete one day tour! ;-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to World War One