Postcard from the museum

Discussions about the museum, the displays and the castle (not affiliated with this site).

Postcard from the museum

Postby IanT » Sat May 16, 2009 9:58 pm

When I received some items ordered from the museum a postcard was enclosed of a self portrait of a Colour Sergeant Dollery & his wife and son. The same image is in the museum booklet in the section Showcase 3: 1815-1854. It took my interest because I have Dollerys from Hampshire in my mother's ancestry. So I did a bit of research and found that his service record is available from the National Archives, and he is indeed from Hampshire, though from the north of the county so not closely related to our Dollerys, as far as I know.
The references are:
"WO 97/517/36","THOMAS DOLLERY Born LONG PARISH, Hampshire Served in 34th Foot Regiment; 66th Foot Regiment Discharged aged 38","1805-1828","""WO 97/791/34","THOMAS DOLLERY Born LONG PARISH, Hampshire Served in 66th Foot Regiment Discharged aged 29","1805-1819",""

It seems from this that Thomas may have served in the 66th until the age of 29 then the 34th to the age of 38.
I haven't ordered the documents themselves, as this Dollery line is probably only distantly related to my mother's (her great grandmother was a Hampshire Dollery).

Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Re: Postcard from the museum

Postby CockneyTone » Mon May 18, 2009 10:03 am

Ian,must have been a bit of a surprise for you, although very distant its nice to have a link with history like that!If you change your mind and get his papers be sure to update us please?Regards and best wishes,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to Border Regiment Museum