Lance Corporal John Scrivens a Lonsdale at the Dardanelles

The place to collect your thoughts and memories of those who served in the Border Regiment and share them with others.

Lance Corporal John Scrivens a Lonsdale at the Dardanelles

Postby spike » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:38 am

Every so often I receive information from a relative whose ancestor I have missed out of my lists. One such was John Scrivens of Westmorland. He was described by his relative Andrelee Neal as an ex Lonsdale who had served in the Dardanelles, then was invalided home before going to France with 2nd Border and being killed at the Somme. I must admit, I found the scenario unlikely and told Andrelee so, especially as the only battalions of the Border Regiment to go to Gallipoli were the 1st and the 6th. Tony Goddard kindly took time to check the facts at the museum and confirmed that indeed John Scrivens had done as was claimed, it was not just a piece of 'family legend'. I had to apologise and was intruiged by the story of such a man. After much trying I was finally able to get the Service Documents via email and piece together this remarkable story, which I will tell over the coming posts.

JohnScrivens1.jpg

John Scrivens did indeed enlist in the 11th Battlion Border Regiment on 10 September 1914. He was given the Service Number 17882 and gave his address as Brough Sowerby, Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland. He was 26 years and 11 months old and a Farm Labourer, by trade. For reasons as yet unknown, perhaps for the adventure, by 10th June 1916 he had been transferred to the 1st Battalion and was posted to them arriving on the 15th June 1915. He may have left England in May 1915 as there is a faint note at the top 'embarked Heysham Harbour on xx/5/1915 for XXX (perhaps M.E.F).'

JohnScrivens2.jpg

He did not last long at Gallipoli, or perhaps his crossing was not under the best conditions, but by 23/6/1915 he had contracted Enteric Fever and was admitted to Alexandria Hospital on 3rd July 1915. This condition was so serious that he was re-embarked for England aboard H.M.H.S. Runic on 16th September 1915, from Port Said Egypt.

More to follow
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Re: Lance Corporal John Scrivens a Lonsdale at the Dardanell

Postby CockneyTone » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Spike,

interesting stuff, thanks for sharing it with us.
Regards,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby spike » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:26 pm

JohnScrivens3.jpg

He appears to have convalesced in England until 7th December 1915 when he embarked for France and joined the 2nd Border on 13th December 1915. He was appointed unpaid Lance Corporal on February 3rd 1916, but ill health seems to have followed him and he appears to have been in and out of hospital with P.U.O. (Pyrexia Of Unknown Origin-fever) and Bronchitis spending short periods in No.22 and No.23 Field Hospitals and then returning to duty after a few days. His last return to duty was on 9th March 1916 and he was wounded in action and died of his wounds on 18th March 1916. The note says "Buried in Soldiers Cemetery back of D.2. sector by Fricourt
Map Ref: Sheet Albert Combined F.3.C.1.8."

His grave is in Norfolk Cemetery, Becordel-Becourt in grave reference I.C.44.
J_SCRIVENS.jpg

Norfolk Cemetery Becordel-Becourt
NORFOLK_CEMETERY.jpg
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby CockneyTone » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Spike,
I have been to this cemetery numerous times, will look him up to pay my respects on my next trip/
Regards,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby spike » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:41 pm

. His mother was called Ann Elliott, nee Scrivens and his step family lived in the Westmorland area. They were sent his medals after the war.

JohnScrivens4.jpg

His step brother William Elliott. of Rectory High Farm, Brougham,signed the declaration.

JohnScrivens5.jpg
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby CockneyTone » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:48 pm

I wonder where those medals and plaque are now? I would like to think lovingly looked after by a family member?
Regards,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby spike » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:43 pm

I would like to thinks so Scottie........
19532 Lance Corporal J. Stanley Scrivens missing at 20
There was a bit of confusion as the Lonsdales had two Lance Corporal Scrivens' from Westmorland. The first above Lance Corporal John Scrivens of Brough Sowerby, Kirkby Stephen and Lance Corporal Joseph Stanley Scrivens of Ormside, Appleby.
Incidentally, Andrelee believes he is a ancestor of her family also.
The latter enlisted as Stanley Scrivens (but local newpapers and his mother confirm he was called Joseph Stanley).
Scrivens_JS_LCpl_19523.jpg

Here is his picture from the Westmorland Gazette announcing his death.
StanleyScrivens7.jpg

Stanley Scrivens enlisted on 17th May 1915 at Kirkby Stephen and was given the Service Number 19532. He was 5'6" tall and weighed 140 pounds with a chest expansion of 37" and development described as good, not bad for a 19 year old lad. His address is given as Ormside, Westmorland and his occupation, Farm Labourer.
StanleyScrivens1.jpg

StanleyScrivens2.jpg
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby CockneyTone » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:07 pm

I assume Scrivens is not an unusual name in those parts then? but to get the same initials as well you can see how confusion arose.
Regards,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby spike » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:30 pm

I've never come across the name before, but Andrelee Neal reckons it or variants of the spelling are fairly common

He stayed with The Lonsdale Battalion and was posted to France on 23rd November 1915, sailing from Folkestone to Boulogne on the MV Victoria. Unusually he has a bit of leave featured on his record from 30th May to 7th June 1916 and I hope he enjoyed it bearing in mind what was to come. On the 28th June 1916 he was appointed unpaid Lance Corporal, just before the big push of the Somme. He was posted as missing on July 1st 1916 and eventually presumed dead on or about that date, aged 20. He has no known burial place and is commemorated on Thiepval Memorial Pier and Face 6A and 7C.

StanleyScrivens4.jpg

StanleyScrivens6.jpg

Scrivens_JS_19523_LCpl.jpg

His statement of service :-

StanleyScrivens5.jpg

There is a heart rending letter from his mother, Emma Scrivens to Fulwood Barracks in September 1920 requesting his Commemorative Plaque and Certificate and confirming he was known to her as Joseph Stanley Scrivens. I hope she received them with the honour she speaks of in the first lines.
StanleyScrivens3.jpg

Thanks for these pictures and information to Andrelee Neal and Garry Clayton.
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby CockneyTone » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:25 pm

As a father of a 21 year old lad myself i cannot really begin to imagine this poor ladies loss, well done Spike for keeping Josephs memory alive!

Regards,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to Roll of Honour & Remembrance