Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour

The place to collect your thoughts and memories of those who served in the Border Regiment and share them with others.

Re: Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour

Postby plbramham » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:40 am

I went to a meeting of the Border Regiment Memorial Fund ( Kendal) Committee last night, and we have received the volume back from the calligraphers with the completed inscriptions - two names per page. ( see attached photos) The title and inscription pages are high grade copies of two pages from the original book which were the only pages ever actually completed in the old volume, but could not be reused because fungal growth would have contaminated the new volume. (Those two original pages are to be secured behind glass for preservation, and to prevent any contamination.) They were originally drawn by Kendal artist John Watton who was a Border Regiment officer captured on the Dunkirk rearguard in 1940 and who ended up in Colditz. The vicar has agreed to dedicate the new roll of honour during the Remembrance Sunday service next month.

As I pointed out at the meeting, I reckon we've done pretty well, as we only really launched the appeal twelve months ago at last year's Remembrance Sunday service.

We do still have one surviving former Border soldier who should be able to attend the service to see the completed volume in place ( which was the main ambition of the project), there are a couple more but they are not really mobile,
Paul
Attachments
0 roll book.jpg
The completed Kendal Border Regiment roll of honour
0 roll inscription page.jpg
The inscription pages- copies of the original pages by Lt John Watton who was captured serving with 4th Border in 1940 on Dunkirk rearguard
0 roll sample  page.jpg
Sample page -Walter Dixon features on the history page of Spike's 8th Btn website: http://freewebs.com/kendalpals/index.htm
plbramham
General
General

Postby mrdeacon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Excellent Paul well done looks nice.

Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kerchi » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:07 pm

This is fantastic, glad you managed to get the project complete. The book looks great and you must feel like you have accomplished something special here. Shame about the originals and the fungal growth though. At least having it on display and secured behind the glass with ensure it is kept in the best possible condition for future generations. Wish I could be there when the surviving Border Regiment soldier attends the service. This is what I hate about being so far away, missing out on special occasions such as this but I am sure you will keep apprised on the forum with how it goes. Hopefully, the less mobile veterans will be able to attend. If not, your main ambitions for the project have been seen through to the end and that is something to be very proud of, certainly in my eyes and many others with an appreciation for what has been achieved.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:35 am

In the run up to Remembrance Sunday our roll has attracted quite a flurry of media interest. (I think I caught their attention by sending press releases along the lines of “Remembered at last - 50 years on”, reflecting the time since the original volume was started).
We have had stories and a photo in The Westmorland Gazette and The South Lakes Citizen newspapers, plus stories to come on BBC Radio Cumbria and North West Tonight television.
The Roll of Honour will be dedicated at The Remembrance Sunday Service on November 11th 2012 in Kendal Parish Church by the Vicar of Kendal, the Rev. Rob Saner-Haigh.
Very sadly, we have just learnt that unfortunately there are no Border Regiment veterans left in the town that are fit enough to attend the service. We had hoped that George Dawson, whose request to complete the roll prompted the project, would be able to hand the volume to the vicar, but he has very recently became too unwell. However, he was delighted to see the completed roll and I have provided him with photographs of it as a keepsake. Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Remembrance Sunday 2012 & Roll dedication

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:46 pm

The Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour was dedicated in Kendal parish church on Remembrance Sunday – extract from the service below.
Earlier, laying a wreath for The Border Regiment Association at the town’s war memorial was Border Regiment veteran Jack Gill, who was based postwar in Goettingen and Berlin. Jack served in the regiment first as a cadet, then during his National Service, later as a regular and finally became a territorial. In civilian life he became a postman
Attachments
1remsunjackgill.jpg
Jack Gill laying the Association wreath
1remsunwreath.jpg
remsunday border roll dedication001.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:40 am

Thought members might like to see this page from Kendal Town Council's December 2012 newsletter which features the roll of honour ( Don't worry about copyright - I wrote it and supplied the photos) Paul
Attachments
KTC & Border  Dec 2012 newsletter001.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Previous

Return to Roll of Honour & Remembrance