Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour

The place to collect your thoughts and memories of those who served in the Border Regiment and share them with others.

Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour

Postby plbramham » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:33 pm

I am part of a small group producing a Roll of Honour for the Border Regiment chapel in Kendal Parish Church at the request of the surviving veterans. Fundraising is ongoing and we hope the project will be completed by the summer. Here is the text of a letter circulated in the town and to other parties we feel may be interested, Paul Bramham:

MIKE J. MASON MBE
3, KIRKBARROW
KENDAL, LA9 5DD
TEL: 01539 727049

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to invite your support in commemorating Kendal men who gave their lives for their country.
A project is underway to produce a roll of honour listing the names and details of the men of Kendal who died serving with THE BORDER REGIMENT from The First World War until amalgamation in 1959 when it became THE KINGS OWN ROYAL BORDER REGIMENT.
The project originated in the late 1950s/early 1960s when funds were raised which provided a glazed oak display stand and a bound volume with a crest on the title page. Unfortunately the names were never inscribed. The original book is in a poor state of repair and needs replacing, hence the need for funds to produce a new volume and the cost of inscriptions.
It is hoped that a completed volume will be installed in The Border Regiment chapel in Kendal Parish Church while there are still Border Regiment veterans left in the town.
There will be a provision for families of other Border Regiment soldiers who died in service, to have their ancestor’s details added at a later date at the expense of the relatives.
The Border Regiment is of considerable significance to Kendal, as it has the only regimental chapel in the town, and it is the only regiment ever to have been bestowed with The Freedom of Kendal, as recently exercised by the regiment’s successor, The Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment.
Donations to the project may be made payable to myself, a retired former C/O of The Kendal detachment ACF, and addressed to: Mike Mason, 3 Kirkbarrow, Kendal. LA9 5DD
My thanks in anticipation of your kind support,
Yours Sincerely,
MIKE MASON MBE
(Details of known Kendal men who died serving with The Border Regiment may be viewed on a roll of honour on the history page of: freewebs.com/kendalpals )
plbramham
General
General

Re: Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour

Postby kerchi » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:34 pm

A very worthy cause Paul, I hope the fund-raising is successful. How well has it done so far? Do keep us posted with any progress.

Do you have any photos of the display stand and the bound volume with the crest? I would be interested to see those. Sadly, I haven't been to Kendal for a long time :-(

Setting up an online donations page, possibly on the kendalonline website (or something similar) if the webmaster agrees to such a thing might be useful as this is a much quicker means of payment and people could see the progress as the funds come in ;-)

Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 am

Hi Chris,
Fundraising is going very well. Aside from private donations,we have received half the proceeds from The Remembrance Sunday service, and The Co-Op funeral services are donating a green leather bound volume of our choice with 180 velum pages. The Kendal Town Council grants Committee ( as a councillor I have had to declare an interest and am not able to vote on it) meet at the end of this month (January) and we are very hopeful that their grant will make up the required sum.
I do not have photos of the stand or original volume. The stand is currently away at a cabinetmakers having a piano hinge and lock fitted to the lid, so it can be opened for viewing, or possibly to have a page turned each day by the churchwarden. I have suggested that I provide an encapsulated A4 transcript in a binder to hang next to the stand so people can flip through it without disturbing the proper roll ( Also cheap to replace pages if they should be "borrowed").Originally the lid was screwed down, so even if the pages had been inscribed, no-one would have been able to turn or view them (We had a heck of a job shifting the screws after 50 years! I suspect being airtight and unopened for so long alsocontributed to the demise of the book.) The original volume has been taken away by the vicar to use as a template to obtain quotes for it's replacement. We had hoped that we could reuse the original crest but it is badly foxed, and the bookbinders have advised that it may contain bacteria which could contaminate the velum pages of the new book, so it will probably be copied instead. We have found a supplier to provide a green/purple silk lining for the case as the original was mouldy and fell apart when we opened the lid.
Through my journalism contacts I secured a front page story & photo about the project in The South Lakes Citizen, The Westmorland Gazette's free newspaper ( Just thought -I'll post that on the forum newspaper page), and Radio Cumbria are interested in doing a piece when the roll is installed. I'll keep you informed.
I've also informed the town's secondary schools, who are big fans of Spike's Kendal Pals site for use in their GCSE history coursework.
While doing this project I have come across one thing which I'm sure you have experienced with the forum - many of the enthusiastic veterans do not have computers or the internet, and they must have photos documents, memories which are great to find. I'm thinking in particular of a Kendal man you may know of - George Dawson? He has been collecting Border documents, photos, badges etc since the 1960s and has a wealth of knowledge. (I keep printing off internet articles for him.)
Right, I'll now reply to your other responses in the appropriate postings
Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:39 pm

Paul,

It sounds like it is going well so fingers crossed for the remainder of the funds :-)

Pitty about the photos but your descriptions have given me a good idea of what it looks like and what the finished piece will look like when completed. The A4 transcript is a good idea and as you say, cheap to replace after people have turned the pages a few thousand times. It would be heart-breaking if the originals were damaged to a point where repairing them was not an option. Although the majority of people have good intentions and treat such items well and with respect, there are people out there who are, let's say, a bit heavy handed!

Shame about the crest; the silk lining will definitely look the part.

I will look forward to hearing the update when the roll is installed.

Spike has done amazing work on his research and I think it's great that kids are able to use his sites in their coursework.....he's turning out to be a bit of a local star ! 8-) ! He has provided many detailed and informative posts on the forum and was the very guy that got me started on the original wiki (the forum followed later). I owe many thanks to Spike and a few other members for guidance and help over the years.

George Dawson sounds like he would be amazing to chat to and with all that knowledge, documentation and photos he must be a Border Regiment encyclopaedia. I totally agree about your comment on veterans not having a computer or access to one. I think also that the modern age in technological terms can seem somewhat daunting for them. All those stories and memories could really enlighten us and the forum would be a great arena to do so but without access to a computer or little knowledge on how to post on a forum we have to rely on other means or lose out altogether, sadly.

Although I don't live locally I have strong connection to the county, particularly Appleby, where I have many fond memories as a child visiting my grandparents. If I did live locally I would have certainly liked to have helped Spike in his long-term efforts to enlighten us with his Roll of Honour projects and meet as many people like George Dawson as possible. ;-)

Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Progress-Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour

Postby plbramham » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:23 pm

You will be pleased to hear that we have raised enough money to order a leather bound volume with velum pages which we have found a calligrapher to inscribe, for the Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour to be housed in the regimental chapel in Kendal parish church . This was largely due to a £1000 grant from Kendal Town Council. (As a councillor, I had to declare an interest and could take no part in the application or its discussion, and had to abstain from voting on the approval) . I think this represents the town’s continuing support and interest in the regiment, for which of course it supplied soldiers for Gallipoli, The Somme,Ypres, Incheville (Dunkirk rearguard - see my posting in the WW2 section), Tobruk, Normany, Arnhem, Burma etc. Our group, The Border Regiment (Kendal) Memorial Fund, are now turning our efforts to raising money to restore and repair the glazed cabinets in the chapel which house the standards, including the dragon flag captured by the 55th (Westmoreland) Regiment in China in 1841-42.
Attachments
001chapel1.jpg
The Border Regiment chapel, Kendal parish church
001chapel1.jpg (65.12 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
001chapelborderwindow.jpg
001chapelborderwindow.jpg (112.55 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
plbramham
General
General

Re: Progress-Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour

Postby kerchi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:59 pm

plbramham wrote:You will be pleased to hear that we have raised enough money to order a leather bound volume with velum pages which we have found a calligrapher to inscribe, for the Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour to be housed in the regimental chapel in Kendal parish church .

This is great news, it all seems to be falling into place now. I would like to see photos, if this is possible, of the finished piece when it is complete as it isn't a simple case of dropping by and having a look living so far away ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:46 am

The Border Regiment (Kendal) Memorial Fund.
We have now raised the money for the Kendal Border Regiment roll of honour album (see photo) with velum pages, green leather binding and green, purple, and yellow silk marker strips, which has now been sent away for the inscriptions to be added with two names per page. This allows sufficient space for further names to be added should any come to light at a later date.
The book closely resembles the original, incomplete album, which we were advised to destroy as it was highly contaminated with fungal spores, and all sorts of bacteria which could contaminate any other paper or cloth items in was in contact with. (Plus it stank so much no one was prepared to keep it, even in the church vault!)This we have done as the book was of no intrinsic value and was empty apart from a crest and inscription which were drawn by Kendal artist John Watton, who was a 4th Btn D company officer taken prisoner at Incheville. These two pages have been removed, treated, and sealed behind glass to be safe for display. The original two pages have also been copied by digitally scanning and printing to a very high standard by the bookbinders as the title pages of the new volume.
It is hoped that the roll will be completed in time to be dedicated in the Border Regiment chapel at Kendal Parish Church as part of the Remembrance Sunday Service. Failing that, The Mayor of Kendal, Cllr. John Willshaw, has been a strong supporter of the project ( Kendal Town Council donated £1000) and has indicated that he would be pleased to attend any sort of “unveiling” of the roll in its oak pedestal case in the chapel. The cabinet was originally screwed shut (possibly why most people did not know that the book was empty!), but this has now had a lockable hinged glass lid fitted so it can be inspected on request and the pages turned. There will also be an A4 encapsulated transcription next to the cabinet for visitors to read at any time.
The Memorial Committee are now raising funds to repair the glass cabinets in the chapel which house the 55th Regiment ( including the “China” standard) and some Border Regt. colours. We will then look at other enhancement projects for the chapel, including incorporating the memorial from the town’s redundant All Hallows chapel (see posting for “All Hallows” in memorial section) which, with just five exceptions, contains all Border Regiment names, especially 8th Btn.
If you’re in Kendal give the regimental chapel a visit, it’s in the bottom left hand corner of the parish church ( I believe it is the third widest parish church in England) and there is a car park next to it. Otherwise take a look at the photos on my Border chapel posting.
Attachments
roll honour book001.jpg
The roll of honour volume before being sent away for the inscriptions to be added
plbramham
General
General

Postby mrdeacon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:07 pm

Nice one Paul thanks for keeping us up to date.

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby CockneyTone » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:45 am

Paul,

a wonderful effort from you and your crew, very well done,
regards,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel