Full list Kendal WW1 Border deaths

The place to collect your thoughts and memories of those who served in the Border Regiment and share them with others.

Full list Kendal WW1 Border deaths

Postby plbramham » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:27 am

Full known details of Kendal men who died serving in The Border Regiment during WW1 which will be listed in a Roll of Honour in the regimental chapel, Kendal parish church
Attachments
Kendal WW1 Border Roll of Honour.doc
(98.5 KiB) Downloaded 633 times
plbramham
General
General

Re: Full list Kendal WW1 Border deaths

Postby kerchi » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:11 am

Many thanks for including the WWI (and WWII in the other post) Border Regiment casualty lists ;-)

Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:56 pm

With Remembrance Sunday approaching I thought I’d update this posting by stating that the casualty list on the above attachment was compiled as the basis for a Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour. (see my other posting under that title in this section). Edited essential details from this casualty list (it had to be condensed, by removing addresses, cemetery details etc. owing to high cost of inscriptions) are now in the roll which is to be dedicated during the Remembrance Sunday service 2012.
The full details, as listed on the attachment in the above posting, will be encapsulated in a binder kept beside the roll of honour cabinet to enable visitors to freely view the full information.
In a way, only putting the basic information in the roll was beneficial because it gave a uniform appearance i.e. the only information available for some men was the name, rank, date of death and where commemorated/ buried. Research on others unearthed addresses, families, occupations etc. In a way it would seem unfair to have given a longer inscription to someone whose life was well documented than to one who wasn’t. Entries were still not entirely uniform though as some men only gave initials, not Christian names, and some had no date of birth/age listed.
Anyway, the research is not wasted as it will be available in the binder. (Plus if the binder pages get well-thumbed or nicked, we can always print out a replacement!) Paul
Note we used the rank "Serjeant" with a "j" which was the correct spelling during the period.
(To view full image , click on it, or use the slider on the right to scroll down)
Attachments
roll 1.jpg
Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour
roll 1.jpg (152.53 KiB) Viewed 3257 times
roll 2.jpg
Title page of the roll
roll 2.jpg (130.29 KiB) Viewed 3257 times
roll 3.jpg
A sample page in the roll, illustrating how some men (lower entry) did not give their dates of birth or christian names on attestation
roll 3.jpg (120.55 KiB) Viewed 3257 times
plbramham
General
General

Postby hussar1000 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Not showing 21851 John Ainsworth, 2nd Border, kia 14.7.16. Burnt papers on Ancestry, mentioned in SDGW. Lived at 30 Union St, Kendal. Born 1895(94?)
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks very much, will add him to the list.
We deliberately left plenty of space as we knew some names would come to light later. This was anticipated as being the case with some men who did not give an address on attestion, or who were perhaps born in the town but had moved away when they enlisted, thus their address on CWGC and other lists would not be Kendal. (Probably names are missing from the town's war memorials if no family members were still around c. 1920 to submit their names to be included)
If anyone else comes across any other names, I would be pleased to hear from them. The criteria for inclusion on the roll is that the solder must " have been born in or lived in the Borough of Kendal, and died while serving with The Border Regiment",Cheers Paul.

Later note. Are you sure Ainsworth died serving with The Border Regiment or did he just serve with them? The only CWGC entry for a J. Ainsworth is:
AINSWORTH, J. Rank:Private. Service No:202403. Date of Death:03/07/1917. Regiment/Service: Border Regiment 1st/5th Bn.
Grave Reference II. B. 4. Cemetery GUEMAPPE BRITISH CEMETERY, WANCOURT
No address but obviously not the same man as no details match. I don't have a copy of SDGW to hand but I will check. ( Mind you, I don't doubt you, I have found several instances of CWGC and SDGW disagreeing, but it's usually more with details like which battalion the man died with, rather than if he actually died!) Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:00 am

plbramham wrote:Thanks very much, will add him to the list..
we knew some names would come to light later. This was anticipated as being the case with some men who did not give an address on attestion,

Now I’ve got him!

CWGC give no address or any other details, also he is on Kendal war memorial - but no regiment/ address or details, hence why I missed him. However you are correct in that SDGW list Kendal as both his place of birth and enlistment. Thanks very much for letting me know
On the 1911 census,listed as living at 30 Union Street, his occupation is “assistant on paper trade”, which I guess means he worked at the nearby Croppers paper mill in Burneside, who incidentally had - ( maybe still have?),the contract post war to produce the red paper for Remembrance Sunday poppies).
He was aged 17 in 1911- year of birth 1894.
Rest of household:
Father, Ralph - 46 year old General labourer
Mother, Margaret- 44 years old married 24 years
Other children:
Thomas, aged 21, paper trade assistant
Ralph, aged 16, paper trade assistant
William, aged 14, butcher’s errand boy
David, aged 5
Agnes, aged 12
Beatrice, aged 10
Alice, aged 8
Dora, aged 3
11 people in a two up - two down cottage - barracks must have seemed spacious!
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 am

Ainsworth did work at Cropper's Mill and is named on the memorial - see my previous posting "Cropper's paper mill memorial,Burneside" by clicking: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1930&p=4717&hilit=burneside#p4717 , Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby hussar1000 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Always great to add more background to these brave men. Well done, sir.
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby plbramham » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Here's a photo of Ainsworth's house -30 Union St. Kendal. It's one of the few three storey cottages on the street, so they had five rooms instead of only four in the two up, two down houses on that road. Still a tight squeeze for 11 people though as the rooms in those houses are only about 4 metres wide wide! I guess the sons at the paper mill would be on shifts ( 24 hour production at the mill), so they would be able to swop places in the beds!.
Incidentally the houses on this street, and the neighbouring Cross St, Caroline St, Strickland Place, and Burneside Road, were all built in Georgian times by a politician who wanted to be elected as an MP. In those days you had to be a houseowner to vote. He sold the houses at greatly reduced prices, but guess who the buyers were expected to vote for?!! Paul
Attachments
30 Union St.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Return to Roll of Honour & Remembrance