DON'T FORGET- WW1 centenary IS ALSO WW2 75th anniversary!

The place to collect your thoughts and memories of those who served in the Border Regiment and share them with others.

DON'T FORGET- WW1 centenary IS ALSO WW2 75th anniversary!

Postby plbramham » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:07 am

In all the enthusiasm for commemorating the centenary of the outbreak of The First World War next year, has everyone failed to notice that 2014 is also the 75th anniversary of the start of the Second World War?

An event’s 75th anniversary is usually a date for quite a special commemoration, and I hope it will not be completely overshadowed by the WW1 centenary

There is a massive national sentiment (quite rightly) attached to the casualties of the First World War, but ( and I know I am always harping on about this, but justifiably I believe) we must also remember that the youngest veteran of The Second World War (aged 18 in 1945) is now 86 years old. The losses of WW2 attract much less interest than those of WW1, the latter seems to have an almost tragic romantic image now. We all know Harry Patch was the Last Fighting Tommy of World War One, but (from a Border Regiment point of view) how long before the last Dunkirk veteran dies, or the last Tobruk, Arnhem, Normandy, or Japanese PoW veteran has gone? I was born in 1962 when the Second World War was recent history and former combatants were only aged about 40, so perhaps sometimes my age group and older forget just how long ago The Second World War was – 74 years since it started now!

As an afterthought though, I’m pretty sure the 75th anniversary will not have escaped the notice of producers of commemorative items - coins, pictures etc, and we will be bombarded with six years of a series of Battle of Britain , El Alamein, VE Day etc 75 years “collectors’ items” between 2014- 2020!
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Re: DON'T FORGET- WW1 centenary IS ALSO WW2 75th anniversary

Postby kerchi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:53 pm

If I actually knew anything about the Second World War I would be more than happy to do something for the forum and wiki but alas my knowledge on the subject is practically zero :|

I do, however, fully understand your thoughts on the subject Paul and I, too, wish there was a stronger WW2 presence here on the forum and generally elsewhere in the media etc.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:23 pm

My 93 year old Mum is a WW2 veteran, war service in the Auxiliary Territorial Service. Unfortunately her memory is now pretty well non-existent, but we have her personel record from the MOD and photos.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Shame about your mum's memory Ian, I bet she had some pretty interesting stories to tell when you were younger.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Like many in the services she didn't say much other than that she worked with early radar systems on the east coast, watching for incoming enemy aricraft. Her group was attached to a HAA regiment.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Return to Roll of Honour & Remembrance