Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour in situ

The place to collect your thoughts and memories of those who served in the Border Regiment and share them with others.

Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour in situ

Postby plbramham » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:12 pm

View of the Kendal Border Regiment Roll of honour in place in its oak stand in the Border Regiment Chapel, Kendal Parish Church. For full details of the project to produce the roll – finally completed in 2012, roughly 50 years after the project started see: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1681
At the base of the stand is the roll’s original title page by Lt John Watton of “D” Company 4th Border, who was one of the Kendal territorials taken prisoner on the Dunkirk rearguard at Incheville in 1940, and who ended up as a PoW in Colditz.( His page and the whole original volume, were found to be fungally infected so the title page crest painting has been sealed behind glass to avoid contaminating the new volume )
The bronze plaques on the pillars behind the stand are memorials to the 1/4th & 2/4th Bn territorial who died in India, Burma, & Mesopotamia during WW1
For the chapel also see:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1801&p=4464&hilit=border+regiment+chapel+kendal#p4464
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1802&p=4467&hilit=border+regiment+chapel+kendal#p4467

Paul.
Attachments
roll of honour stand  Border chaprl Kendal.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: Kendal Border Regiment Roll of Honour in situ

Postby spike » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:36 pm

Well done to all those involved in bringing this project to fruition.....
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby plbramham » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks Spike for that.
Nice to have a sort of almost "personal" recognition on the forum.
I specifically stated that my name should not be used in the press etc. when the roll was unveiled, as I did not wish any sort of glorification or credit for the work.
I did the research for the Border Regiment men of Kendal - actually more specifically for the very few Border veterans left in the town who wanted the project to be completed in their lifetime - sorry Brian Coulter and Alex McClean - I didn't make it quite in time for you.
( Brian was a Normandy veteran and Kendal Mayor in 1981, Alex was in Burma. The latter always spoke the "Going down of the Sun" at the Remembrance Service - his wonderful booming Sgt Major's voice perfect for the occasion! A great guy who spent his latter years as Kendal's court usher - where even his "clients" respected him!)
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:07 pm

I second Spike's comment. A credit to all involved, especially including you Paul for your hard work (even without recognition) for bringing this wonderful project together and a successful conclusion for everyone to enjoy; the beautiful oak cabinet and the green leather-bound roll of honour.

I can believe you must be happy to see it take pride of place for those surviving Border veterans :-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Oh, and you know I adore the beautiful church too, especially the 55th Regiment and Border Regiment stained glass.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby hussar1000 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:56 am

Nicely done, congrats to all involved
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to Roll of Honour & Remembrance