John Airey

The place to collect your thoughts and memories of those who served in the Border Regiment and share them with others.

John Airey

Postby plbramham » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Am posting in memory of my great friend John Airey of Sedbergh, Cumbria. Died this week of head cancer ( same condition as me) He was ex RAF Regiment, an ardent Border Regiment enthusiast, a community worker, he and his wife fostered children, plus he was a local historian.
Only the good die young eh?
I reckon he probably had the biggest Border Regiment collection outside the Carlisle museum , but correctly disposed of it before he went into the hospice.
I visited him until the end, but I don't think he knew me by then.
It was relatively quick because as recently on Xmas Eve he was knocking on my door at 9.00am to bring me a KORBR ashtray as an Xmas present!
Wonderful guy.
He lost his wife to cancer a couple of years ago, but I think, the final straw was when his last companion, a little dog died a couple of months ago.
RIP John, ( Guess who I will be thinking of on Remembrance Sunday)

Paul
plbramham
General
General

Re: John Airey

Postby kerchi » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:54 pm

Sounds like he was a great guy Paul. Shame I didn't have the opportunity to meet him. My best wishes go out to his family.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: John Airey

Postby mrdeacon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:54 pm

My condolances go out to John's family.

Regards Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Roll of Honour & Remembrance