Kendal Remembers

The place to collect your thoughts and memories of those who served in the Border Regiment and share them with others.

Kendal Remembers

Postby plbramham » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:55 am

Hi,
Thought readers might like to visit this site, created by the current Kendal Mayor, Councillor Tom Clare, in which Kendal and District residents are invited to add contributions of memories of their ancestors from both wars of their family members (whether their ancestors lived in the area or not).
In all the enthusiasm for WW1 centenary, we MUST not forget it is also the 75th anniversary of the start of WW2!
Go to: http://www.kendalremembers.co.uk/
Regards Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Re: Kendal Remembers

Postby kerchi » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:19 am

This site has great potential. I don't have "memories" as such, more so research of my great grandfather and even then I don't have service records so most of my information is pieced together from what could be found, which is not very much.

The memories I do have of my grandfather, who was in the 1st Royal Tank Regiment, are not related to war time. In fact I don't think he ever talked about the war, at least not to me, but I do have his service records. So I wouldn't be able to contribute memories as such.

On that site, do they make a distinction between "memories" and "research"?
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:43 am

I would say "family memories" are notoriously inaccurate, wheras " research" generally is, from available sources, as far as possible real.
The example I always say is :
A 2014 primary school youngster is told their great grandfather was in the First World War - they think he must have been in the trenches - must have gone over the top on the first day of The Somme - thus nearly won the VC. But it turns out he actually spent the war as a clerk at Carlisle Castle!
Extreme example - but get my drift about family history and "Chinese Whispers" over 100 years? "Family history" can disrespect those who actually did do something?
Regards Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:05 am

Having a certain piece of information labelled as "research" or "family memory" definitely helps with categorising said information. This is what they have effectively done on the Lives of the First World War website. There is a clear distinction between the different types of information a user "adds" to a soldier's remembrance page. This way you are always aware that the information is from a research document or a family memory and thus lessens any misconceptions. You effectively take the information displayed for what it is: research or family memory.....simple. It's then up to you, the viewer, to read and understand it for what it is.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Roll of Honour & Remembrance