COCKERMOUTH CEMETERY WAR GRAVES

Discussions about the memorials and cemeteries realting to the regiment. If you have visited any, post your story here and let other know about your experiences.

Re: COCKERMOUTH CEMETERY WAR GRAVES

Postby mrdeacon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:17 pm

DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0030.jpg

Found this interesting broken headstone in the middle of a bush in the cemetery the other week, so with the permission off my uncle the Allerdale bereavement manager I cut the bush to reveal the writing.

A PRIVATE OF THE L COY
1ST VOL.BAT ,BORDER REG
I NOW THAT MY REDEEMER
LIVETH.

On the cross there are only initials there is not even a date of death. I thought what a nightmare this is going to be to try and find who this person is, but I believe with the help of Uncle Rob we have found him as being.

Joseph Wharton Hartness born 1866 Cockermouth.
1870 census he is living with a grandma (no parents)
By 1890 he is living in the Whitehaven area and working as a Printer.
From the burial records Joseph was single and was buried on the 5th January 1893.
Unable to find any more unfortunately.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Memorials & Cemeteries