Lonsdale Battalion War Graves photo collection

Discussions about the memorials and cemeteries realting to the regiment. If you have visited any, post your story here and let other know about your experiences.

Lonsdale Battalion War Graves photo collection

Postby spike » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:34 pm

I am trying to collect as many images of Lonsdale Battalion members wargraves and memorials as I can for placing on my Men of the Lonsdales Pages on my website MEN COULD DO NO MORE. Ideally they should come with a picture of the Lonsdale and maybe a bit of a bio, but any image would be welcome. My hope is to collect a definitive set of such which would then have it's own section.

If anyone has any such pictures, please post them on here or email them to me, I would be most grateful.

I have some already and by way of getting this topic going I shall post one each time I visit the board (until obviously I run out). For starters here is My Great Grandfathers- he has an inscription on his wife's grave in Carlisle Cemetery and on the Thiepval Memorial. 19455 Private John Farrer A Company, 11th Border Regiment, b. Gaitsgill, Cumberland, e. Carlisle, Cumberland,
kia 1st July 1916, F&F
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Re:Lonsdale Battalion War Graves photo collection

Postby spike » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:37 pm

......And on the Thiepval Memorial in France- pier and face 6a and 7c- John Farrer's inscriptionImage
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby spike » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:53 am

19456 Private Alexander Denholm, D Company, 11th Border Regiment.
Born Wigton, Cumberland; Killed in Action 18th November 1916 near Beaumont Hamel, Somme. Buried in Waggon Road Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Somme.
ADen.jpg
19546 Pte. Alexander Denholm
k.i.a. 18/11/16
Waggon Road Cemetery Beaumont Hamel
E.1.

Galashiels, Selkirk
Wigton, Cumberland
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby spike » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:37 am

Lonal James Meek of who was from Ruardean, Forest of Dean, and enlisted in the Herefordshire Regt. and was drafted into the 11th Borders in September 1916 and died 18th November in the attack. He is also buried in Waggon Road Cemetery, Beamont Hamel, his body having laid in no-mans land until retrieved in May the following year. 27785 Private Lonal James Meek K.I.A 18th November 1916, buried Waggon Road Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, Somme.
DSCF0009a.jpg
27785 Private Lonal James Meek
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby spike » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Grave of 13973 Private Thomas Ibison, in Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme He was killed 10th July 1916, age 18. According to a letter from a comrade he was killed by a shell as he was leaving the trenches . He enlisted in September 1914 and had only been on active service for nine months.
Tommy's brother, Henry had a interesting military career, serving in 3 Lancashire Regiments, in the Balkans, wounded at Gallipoli and finally being killed in action on July 3rd 1916, age 32, at the Somme. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial,
Pier and Faces 7A and B.
The brothers, Thomas and Harry Ibson of Ulverston, both of whom were killed in action in July 1916, on the 10th and 3rd July respectively. Thomas was a Lonsdale, whilst his brother was in The 2nd South Lancashire Regiment.
T_Ibison_Grave.jpg
13973 Private Thomas Ibison
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby spike » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:23 pm

Major William Walter Riddell Binning one of the founding officers of the Lonsdale Battalion . Major Binning and Captain Sale founded the camp at Blackhall Racecourse with 75 recruits initially and then helped train the whole battalion for during their time there. Major Binning was a old soldier, whose experience was vital in the early training days and never went abroad, he remained to run the depot company at Carlisle Castle when the Lonsdales went to France.
His grave is in the Dalston Road Cemetery, Carlisle.
100_1957.jpg
Major William Walter Riddell Binning
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby spike » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:27 pm

19263 Lance Corporal BENJAMIN BRADBURY, 11th Border Regiment. Benajmin was born in Ashton under Lyne, Lancs. The son of John and Anne Bradbury of Farnworth, Bolton, Lancs. and enlisted in Farnworth, Lancs in 1915 as a Kitchener Recruit. He was killed in action 10th July, 1917, age 32, in the Nieuport Sector and is commemorated on the NIEUPORT MEMORIAL,West Vlaaderen, Belgium. The Lonsdales were defending the extreme western sector of the Western Front at this time and on the 10th July, came under very heavy, destructive and prolonged bombardment as part of a German attack. The attack was repulsed with many casualties, including Lance Corporal Benjamin Bradbury.The right hand picture may or may not be Benjamin Bradley, but I think from the newspaper article, there are similarities enough to ask the question- what do others think?
BBrad.jpg
19263 Lance Corporal BENJAMIN BRADBURY
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby spike » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:31 pm

BBrad2.JPG
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:13 pm

The right hand picture may or may not be Benjamin Bradley, but I think from the newspaper article, there are similarities enough to ask the question- what do others think?
Spike,Having looked at the newspaper article picture and the photo on the right, I would certainly agree that there are many similarities. The shape of the face in general, the nose and lips all look like they match well. The eyes and cheek bones, to me, look different but then the photos were taken at different times. Of course it is difficult to say exactly, for sure, whether or not it is actually him but I would certainly be inclined to agree that it is. Even if I am wrong the likeness is strong.Other people's thoughts would help.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby spike » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:56 pm

Lance Corporal Alf Sydney of Workington was also killed on the 10th July 1917 when the Germans launched Operation Strandfest, an attack down the Nieuport coast

17339 Lance Corporal ALFRED SYDNEY
born. Workington, Cumberland
enlisted. Seaton, Cumberland
Killed in Action 10/07/17, age 26.
Commemorated - NIEUPORT MEMORIAL
Nieuwpoort, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
ASyd.jpg
17339 Lance Corporal ALFRED SYDNEY

Son of Charles Sydney and Mary Anne Rushton, of Barepot Workington, Alf Sydney was sister to Eva Sydney (b 1900). Alf was the 7th child, Eva the 10th and youngest. In 1915 the family was living at St Paul's Avenue, Seaton. He was killed in action at the Battle of Nieuport-Lombardtzyde on 10th July 1917 and is commemorated on the Nieuport Memorial.
Apologies for treading on toes by adding the details other members have supplied to me, but I thought they would have added them themselves, but after waiting a few days I decided to add them...any other posters with their own pictures please add them to this post.
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Next

Return to Memorials & Cemeteries