Lonsdale Battalion War Graves photo collection

Discussions about the memorials and cemeteries realting to the regiment. If you have visited any, post your story here and let other know about your experiences.

Re: Lonsdale Battalion War Graves photo collection

Postby spike » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:27 pm

This weekend my family and I went for a couple of days away, going to Knowsley Safari Park, staying in Lancashire overnight and taking in the Carlisle United/Huddersfield match the next day.

Obviously the football spoiled it all, but the weather was good and the baboons didn't wreck our car. We opted to tackle the enclosure, but the baboons rejected our car as beneath contempt.( I did see several  door mirrors/brake lights/aerials/roofing strips fall victim,as well as a couple of baboons bringing a whole new meaning to the term passion wagon....) Anyhow as I was passing, I took the opportunity to get a couple of Lonsdales for my project. Two graves in very different situations, in very different cemeteries, not that far apart physically, but with a world of difference at the same time......

Over the next two days I shall post the picture I took and my feelings about them. I'm not saying anything detrimental about either of the men, or their contemporaries, just how I feel about the things I saw.The first is in the hamlet of Howgill in the south of Cumbria, which is in a hill system that is part of the Yorkshire Dales.
Howgill can be reached by single track roads that cannot be driven on by cars over 6'6" wide. We approached hearts in mouth, over roads with hedges and walls either side closer to the car than I'd have liked, and over fells and into dales. The hamlet of Howgill is situated in a valley about 1/2 way along the 7 mile or so stretch of this single track road Howgill Lane(thankfully nothing came the other way). It was a glorious sunny day and the valley looked amazing, with the river meandering past the churchyard and children from the houses of this secluded hamlet playing in the grass areas of Ing lane, a area in the valley bottom gated off from Howgill Lane.

15584 Private Miles Capstick died of wounds in hospital in the UK and is buried in the Holy Trinity Churchyard at Howgill, among other members of the Capstick family, in the church cemetery which is well looked after and beautifully set amidst the hills of this part of Cumbria. If you had to pick where you would be laid to rest I think it would be there.

H_HT.jpg
Howgill Holy Trinity from the air, showing the river the houses and the layout of the area
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby spike » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:38 pm

15584 Private Miles Capstick
8th Bn Border Regiment
Died of wounds(home) : 5th August 1916, age 23.
Buried : Howgill Holy Trinity Churchyard (In West part)
Capstick_M_Sm.JPG
15584 Private Miles Capstick

Born : Liverpool
Enlisted : Sedburgh, Cumberland.
Son of Miles and Alice Capstick of Howgill
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby spike » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:40 pm

A view of Howgill Holy Trinity Church taken from Ing Lane
Howgill_Holy_Trinity2.JPG
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby JohnFearn » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:28 pm

. . . . . .in the church cemetery which is well looked after and beautifully set amidst the hills of this part of Cumbria.
If you had to pick where you would be laid to rest I think it would be there.

Although I was born and brought up in Carlisle and spent many, many happy days loving and exploring Blencathra and the northern fells of the Lake District, I have to say that some of the finest walking I've ever experienced has been in the Howgills. A wonderul last resting place for Pte. Capstick.
JohnFearn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby JohnFearn » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Thanks John,
I think I'd like to link to that from the Roll of Honour, after asking the author's permission, of course. I see they have William H Hartley as well it would be nice to  get a larger copy of the picture of his grave, but I can see no link to the author unfortunately :-\ Good stuff though....

Looks like the author is a postgraduate student at Lancaster University by the name of Oliver Wilkinson, currently researching 'Prison Cultures, Maculinities and British Prisoners of War in Germany during the First World War'.  I can't be 100% certain, but I think his e-mail address is o.wilkinson@lancaster.ac.ukFingers crossed!
JohnFearn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby spike » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:54 am

Thanks John,
I'll try the address and see if he minds me linking to his biogs...
Turns out I have the gravestone picture already, but the biographies give more background on these two men and a picture of Arthur Armer.
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby spike » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:23 am

Next I went to Lower Darwen, near Blackburn for a completely different experience. Two young men who died of wounds a year apart and were buried at home, yet so different.
St James Churchyard is on Stopes Brow in Darwen, at the top of a hill beside a Roman road. There is a memorial outside the cemetery of a soldier standing leaning on his rifle grounded and some impressive gates leading into the cemetery.

15970 Private Arthur Ashley
Depot Company Border Regiment(formerly 6th Bn)
Died of wounds : 1st September 1917, age19.
Buried Lower Darwen St James Churchyard
New Ground V 19.
Ashley_A_Sm.JPG
15970 Private Arthur Ashley

Born : Manchester, Lancashire
Enlisted : Blackburn Lancashire
Son of Edward and Margaret Ashley, of 417, Bolton Rd., Ewood, Blackburn.
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby spike » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:29 am

The entrance to the cemetery at St James' Churchyard
Lower_Darwen_StJ2.jpg

I don't know if you notice but in the first picture you can see a toppled graves stone in the background (well, more than one actually) and this is the general theme of this cemetery, toppled grave markers.
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby spike » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:37 am

I would be forced to liken it to the scene you see in the pictures of the devastated zone of the Great War Battlefields. Most of the cemetery is a mess
I would say the stones have not been toppled because of vandals as none of the other signs of vandalism were there. They have I suspect been toppled for "Health and Safety reasons".

Well, in this cemetery it makes the whole thing look like a shelled village in the old black and white pictures of the battlefields.
LD_StJ.jpg

This Birds Eye view taken from multimap is no exaggeration, believe me, on the ground it looks this bad( I couldn't bring myself to photograph it for my site)
The green is not grass either -a sort of low growing weed I think you can see that in the first picture too...I think this is very poor and can only wonder at the differences between the situation of these two Border Regiment men's final resting place......
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby spike » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:42 am

To end on a more promising note the workmates of Arthur Ashley have also paid for and erected a memorial stone on his grave.
Ashley_AMem_Sm.JPG

I don't think neither they nor he deserve this sort of cemetery.
At least he lays where his family could visit and it's probably only in recent times it has been made to look like this....
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Previous

Return to Memorials & Cemeteries