new member researching grandad

Introduce yourself and let us know a little bit about you.
Forum rules Please make sure you read and understand the forum rules (located in 'Announcement and News') before making any posts, thank you.

new member researching grandad

Postby DaveG76 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi all , hopefully someone can help shed some light on some info regarding my Grandad.

Long story short , when my grandad died in 1991 , i was left in his will. 5 medals with ribbons along with his Dunkirk badge . Can remember him wearing them with pride and distinctly remember the badge .. fairly large , heavy
I am currently trying to regain these medals as my mother refuses to part with them saying although they were left to me that she is the one who is holding them as i only got them due to her suggesting to her dad that he leave them to me .
Trying to reclaim these. I have been warned by a family member that should i get them to make sure i have the correct ones .
The above is a legal matter to which i know only i can sort .

ok so is there a way to find out , what he was awarded and when ?
any archive footage ?

his details are

Joseph William Gilmore

IN JUNE 1940
He was a Bren gun carrying private in the Fith battalion of the border regiment

ive enclosed a paper cutting from local papers ( dunkirk medal arrives 41 years later )

goes on to say he was captued on film by the daily mail photographer recording the return of the Brittish ex peditionary forcw. His wife Florence was told he was missing in action .

ive enclosed the cutting as an attachment . any help would be appreciated

thanks

Dave Gilmore
Attachments
20245633_10154907133123178_4443134120243186250_n.jpg
5th battalion
DaveG76
Private
Private

Re: new member researching grandad

Postby mrdeacon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi Dave,

If you apply for his service record from the MOD that will give you the answers you require, it will tell you all about his service in WW2.
But you will have to have his death certificate before you can apply. https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-dea ... ertificate

Here is the link to the MOD
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... pt1_v6.pdf
Download the PDF file and fill out the form and a cheque for £30.

Good luck Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DaveG76 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:26 am

Ahh thank you for the reply

His death cert is something i dont have .
Ill have to look into that one .

Were all mwfals individual to that person or eere they all the same ?

Thanks again for the links .
As much info is apreciated

Thank you for taking time to reply

Dave :)
DaveG76
Private
Private

Postby mrdeacon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:32 pm

I am no expert Dave sorry but here is a link to explaining medals https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-camp ... ligibility if you scroll down to WW2 medals this will give you some ideas of what medals he could have got, for example my granda got 4 medals after he served after he landed on D-Day and they were the 1939-1945 star. France and Germany star. Defence medal and the War medal 1939-1945.
If he served in Burma he would have got the Burma star medal or if he served in Africa he could have then got the Africa star medal.

Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Introduce yourself