Hello From a New Member

Introduce yourself and let us know a little bit about you.
Forum rules Please make sure you read and understand the forum rules (located in 'Announcement and News') before making any posts, thank you.

Hello From a New Member

Postby StephenJohnRoberts » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:29 am

Hello, I have just joined the Forum on the advice of Paul Bramham. I have worked with him in commemorating the Centenary of the Great War in Kendal by means of an exhibition which appeared in Kendal Town Hall and Museum and which is now going to the Library and by helping to prepare a school play which was performed on Thursday, Friday and Saturday last week. The play was written by Jon Linaker and most of the historical research was done by Paul. I am now fascinated by individual soldiers' biographies and hope to get some details from this site. I am head of history at the Queen Katherine School in Kendal and am also pursuing a PhD about Wirral (my home area) in the Great War. I have a website entitled "An Imperishable Record" which is about the people listed on the Grange Hill War Memorial in West Kirby, Wirral.
StephenJohnRoberts
Private
Private

Re: Hello From a New Member

Postby kerchi » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:32 pm

Welcome to the forum Stephen,

Paul has mentioned his work with the Kendal exhibition and school play, plus a host of other projects he's been busy with over the years; a very knowledgeable man whose presence on the forum has been most enjoyable.

Had a quick look at your website; very interesting and a great project to be involved in. I hope you get through all those names! ;-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby petertheelder » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:47 am

Hullo Stephen,
Greetings from Canada from the great-nephew of Sjt. Walter Dixon, one of the characters of Jon Linakers' "Kendal Pals" play, which, according to Paul Bramham, was " fantastic". How I wish I could have been there in the audience last week. Paul sent me the script of the play and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it this weekend. Very intrigued by Jon's parody of the events leading to the breakout of the war using young boys squabbling over toys.
Another strong feature of the play's presentation was the use of the families of the three Pals who went to war and how they were affected by the loss of their loved ones.
I was in Kendal this August with my grandson and, with Paul's help, was able to see the display in the Town Hall and the "Fells to Flanders' exhibit at the Abbott Hall museum and visited the Border Regiment memorial in the parish church. It was a great disappointment that Paul was under the weather and we had to cancel our intended get-together.
Regards, Peter
petertheelder
Corporal
Corporal

Postby kerchi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:16 pm

petertheelder wrote:Greetings from Canada from the great-nephew of Sjt. Walter Dixon, one of the characters of Jon Linakers' "Kendal Pals" play, which, according to Paul Bramham, was " fantastic". How I wish I could have been there in the audience last week.

Hi Peter,

You must have been absolutely gutted not to have been there for the play. I don't live locally so I couldn't get there either (although I certainly don't live as far away as yourself!!) but I would have like to have seen it all the same. Paul, too, sent me a digital copy of the script. You must be incredibly proud of Walter's part in the play; very exciting stuff to say the least, not to mention moving.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:57 pm

The play really was an outstanding success, and has received massive praise. Kendal Town Mayor Cllr. Tom Clare is insistent that it should be performed again at say , centenary of the Somme, the Armistice, and unveiling of the war memorial.

The stunning finale was when the replica stone block base of the town memorial was surmounted by the character "ghost " of Sgt John Grant DCM , MM, who climbed onto the top of the plinth and froze in position on top in exactly the same pose as the bronze statue on Kendal war memorial.

For me the most moving part was an outstanding performance of "Keep the Home Fire Burning" by a girl with a truly wonderful voice. ( I'm a tough old sod -but it nearly had me in tears).

I attended two performances, and on the last night I thought "something" was going to happen as I was seated front row centre. I was called out and presented with a wooden replica SMLE rifle made by the school's CDT department in thanks. ( good job they gave me a lift home - probably not wise to carry that through Kendal at night!) They also gave me a framed poster.

I will attach pages from the programme when I have scanned it - I'm sure Stephen and Jon won't mind,

Regards Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:15 pm

Kendal Pals play programme pages
Paul
Attachments
kendal pals cover.jpg
kendal pals001.jpg
kendal pals002.jpg
kendal pals003.jpg
kendal pals004.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:37 pm

plbramham wrote: I attended two performances, and on the last night I thought "something" was going to happen as I was seated front row centre. I was called out and presented with a wooden replica SMLE rifle made by the school's CDT department in thanks. ( good job they gave me a lift home - probably not wise to carry that through Kendal at night!) They also gave me a framed poster.

What a great honour! I'd be worried if I was moved to front row centre, especially if they were expecting a speech or something. I hate public speaking so I could never be a councillor like yourself.

Regarding the Lee Enfield, what a tricky item to make; very impressed with that.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:16 pm

Here's the replica SMLE rifle ( about two thirds original size) Paul
Attachments
rifle replica1.jpg
rifle replica 2.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:02 pm

Nice! What a wonderful gift to be presented with. Where does it take pride of place?

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby spike » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:55 pm

Very impressive ......

Glad everyone involved's hard work has come to such splendid fruition...
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Return to Introduce yourself