Hi all

Introduce yourself and let us know a little bit about you.
Forum rules Please make sure you read and understand the forum rules (located in 'Announcement and News') before making any posts, thank you.

Hi all

Postby Tomasi » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:36 pm

My name is Tom, my grandfather was Richard Barrell, 4th Border Regt and served in Maymyo Burma in WW1.
I have contacted the Westmoreland Gazette about republishing the photos published in 1915 editions of the paper.
Tomasi
Private
Private

Re: Hi all

Postby kerchi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum. What do you know about your grandfather? Any interesting stories to tell?
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Hi all

Postby plbramham » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:58 pm

Hello,
I have a great interest in 4th Border having lived in Kendal most of my life, worked based there as a photographer for The Westmorland Gazette for many years, and finally was the Kendal town councillor responsible for researching the town's WW1 centenary exhibition last year.

Now, I suggest that you do a search ( on this site - if you have not already done so) for "Maymyo" "Border regiment chapel" and "Kendal parish church" where there are two memorials for 1/4th and 2/4th battalion. Also look for things like "Poona", India Gate" "Burma" etc. perhaps?.

Of course I am sure that you will have looked on this forum, in the " WW1" section - then subsection "4th battalion".

Unfortunately the full 4th Bn war diaries do not survive ( even the museum at Carlisle do not have one). There is a (very!) abridged version of the 2/4th diary by a Carlsile publisher, which I believe Kerchi" has posted on this site. You can also find it on the internet to read (free!) in either script form" as a a copied original book. See : http://archive.org/stream/diaryof24thba ... a_djvu.txt

Kendal library may be a good source as they have all period newspapers. The Gazette are not to bothered unless they can charge for research or make a story (free!) from it. The Gazette do not hve the original photos ( all were destroyed long before my time there), just cuttings, and WG will forward you to the library to see them on microfilm

Hope this helps. Please contact me if you think I my be of any particular use there.

Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Return to Introduce yourself