Introduce yourself and let us know a little bit about you.
Forum rules Please make sure you read and understand the forum rules (located in 'Announcement and News') before making any posts, thank you.

Postby keithb » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:26 pm

first of all thanks for adding me to the forum
i am researching my grandfather Thomas Harrold 20570 of the 2nd battallion he was Attested in Leeds into the RAMC and he must have been posted to the border regiment soon after i know he was wounded in may 1917 and was hospitalised with gun shot wound to upper thigh and had some home leave before being sent back to his unit the only other information i have is he was missing in action on 26th october 1917 and is remembered at tyne cot memorial regards keith
keithb
Private
Private

Re: New member

Postby plbramham » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi, RE:
HARROLD, THOMAS
Rank: Private. Service No: 20570 Date of Death: 26/10/1917 Age: 33. Regiment/Service: Border Regiment 2nd Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 85 to 86. Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL. Additional Information:
Husband of Florence Annie Harrold, of 18, Ida View, Stourton, Leeds.

You may be aware of this site, but if not ( just click on this link) go to: http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casua ... ,%20THOMAS
There is a a link on that in which you can request a (free! - no catches!) Memorial certificate from CWGC.
Also try the First World War section of this site, then sub section 2nd battalion. I did a transcription of their war diary

Ah save you the trouble!:

26th October 1917– The Battn was ordered to attack and hold a line joining the points J.22c 70.48 (in GHELUVELT village) and J.22c 10.05 known as the RED LINE. The attack was part of an operation to be carried out by the 20th INFANTRY BRIGADE. The 8th DEVON Regt and the 2nd QUEENS were attacking simultaneously on the left and right respectively. After the objective had been captured the 2nd GORDON HDRS were to leapfrog and establish a blue line parallel to the RED LINE and about 500 yards forward in advance of it. The attack was carried out under a creeping barrage timed to start at 5.40am and to reach the objective at 6.36am. The Battn advanced in normal formation C Coy on right D Coy on the left B Coy moppers up and A Coy in support. The Battn formed up in two parallel tapes at 60 Yards distance. The front tape joined the points J.21b 40.08 and J.21c.85.71.
At 5.40am the Battn advanced over very marshy ground through which the men were only just able to move. “C” Coy on the right advanced into the valley in J21a where they got stuck in the mud up to the waist and were almost entirely wiped out. Captain DEMPSTER was killed [DEMPSTER, DAVID BURNS Captain MC Age: 22 King's Own Scottish Borderers 3rd Bn. attd. 2nd Bn. Border Regiment TYNE COT MEMORIAL Son of Robert and Cecilia Dempster, of "Carresden," George St., Dumfries ]and 2nd Lieut STEPHEN [STEPHEN, JAMES ANDERSON 2nd Lt Died 28/10/1917 Age: 27 LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY Husband of D. M. Stephen, of "St. Elmo," Beckford Rd., Cowes, Isle of Wight ] was wounded. Machine Gun fire was opened from LEWIS HOUSE on the right the pepper boxes on the left at J21d 79 as soon as our barrage opened. D Coy on the left finding that the ground was impassable to their immediate front moved over towards the MENIN ROAD. Practically the whole company was wiped out by machine gun fire in an attempt to take the pepper boxes. The rear platoons of B Company which had also moved to the left were the next to come up against the pepper boxes with the same result as before. An attack was made from the crater but with no better success. Capt J. MOORE [MOORE, JOHN Captain 3rd Bn. attd. 2nd Bn. TYNE COT MEMORIAL ] and 2nd Lieut INKPEN [INKPEN, WILFRED 2nd Lt. TYNE COT MEMORIAL ] were killed in this attempt and more of B & D Coys were casualties. “A” Company now came up and proceeded to attack the pepperboxes. One of these was taken and a machine gun captured but the remaining three covered by fire from LEWIS HOUSE defied all attempts to take them. Capt J.W.LITTLE collected the remains of B & D Coys and a few DEVONS, and advanced along the line of the road. Leaving the remains of A Company to attempt to take or keep down the pepper boxes Capt LITTLE took his party forward to within 150 yards of GHELUVELT where he took up a line of shellholes. The DEVONS on the left appeared to have got well forward. On the right the 2nd QUEENS had not been able to take LEWIS HOUSE. A number of men had gone away to the left of the road and a few had gone to the right amongst the QUEENS. The reason for the former was that it was impossible to move along the original line of advance and consequently the men had to move to the left to the narrow belt of ground on the right of the road. This belt was covered by the machine guns in the pepper boxes which were just on the right of the road and was swept by machine gun fire from LEWIS HOUSE. The natural tendency therefore was to get on the left of the road, and, in fact for the line to get on at all, it was bound to go to the North of the road. At 7am a handful of men were visible in GHELUVELT village at and about the ruins of the CHURCH. By 10am it was apparent that the original objective could not be reached with the small number of men left. On the right the 2nd Queens were establishing a line on the original tape. On the left the situation of the DEVONS was not clear. The DEVONS appeared to have got forward and to be holding roughly the line on the Railway. A miscellaneous body of men were holding a defensive flank from the point where the railway joined the road to about J21.b 5.1 From that point to TOWER HAMLETS there was a gap. It was therefore decided to collect as many men of the Battn as possible and to put out posts along the original line of posts to connect up between the defensive flank ending at J.21b 5.1 as far to the right as possible. By this time there were only about 40 men of the Battn left out of the attacking companies. The remainder were either casualties or had gone to the left and become mixed up with the DEVONS. The GORDON HIGHLANDERS were apparently North of the road and South of LEWIS HOUSE. It was reported that a large number had gone North of the road and were amongst the Devons. They could not be found however and few men came out of the line with the DEVONS when the Brigade was relieved. The few men that had been collected to hold the line South of the road were holding from the road to a point J21d 2.9. South of this was a gap at TOWER HAMLETS and this gap remained until the Battalion was relieved at 11.15pm by 1st R.WELCH FUSILIERS and proceeded to tent shelters at the Western end of ZILLEBEKE LAKE. 27th – The Battalion was conveyed by motor transport to camp at BLARINGHEM.

26th October: Officers – killed 5, wounded 2, missing 1 [All on TYNE COT MEMORIAL : SEYMOUR-ISAACS, MAURICE 2nd Lt . INKPEN, WILFRED 2nd Lt. MOORE, JOHN Captain 3rd Bn. attd. 2nd Bn. PAYNTER, REGINALD 2nd Lt. Age: 34 "D" Coy. 2nd Bn. Son of the late John Paynter and of Mrs. Paynter, of 20, Onslow Gardens, Muswell Hill, London; husband of Florence Paynter, of "Roscrea," Holden Rd., Woodside Park, London. ]. OR killed 6, wounded 174, missing 126.

There is of course the consideration that while he DIED on 26th, that may not have been the date he was killed. i.e. he may have been wounded earlier and died in hospital. Sounds harsh I know, but that's how it was.

Hope this helps,
Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby keithb » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:56 pm

thanks paul i read the diary for the 26th october and yes it did help pinpoint the area he was mia in
keithb
Private
Private

Postby mrdeacon » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the forum.
Have you got his service records from Ancestry if not let me know and I will copy them for you.

Cheers Mike.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby keithb » Sat May 07, 2016 7:52 pm

yes mike i have whats left of his records some badly burnt at preston i have not been able to find the battle map for the 26/10/1917 regards keith
keithb
Private
Private

Return to Introduce yourself