Border TV proposed programme on the Lonsdales

Are there any talks, meetings or events about the regiment? If so let us know here.

Border TV proposed programme on the Lonsdales

Postby spike » Thu May 15, 2008 4:09 pm

Today I got an email from the producer of Lookaround, a local news show.
They are planning a 90th Anniversary of the end of the Great War item for their show :
I found your website and research very interesting on the Lonsdale Regiment. I am the Producer of the Lookaround programme on ITV Border. I am going to do a series of special reports on the week of Remembrance Sunday this year to mark the 90th anniversary of the end of the Great War. Would you mind e-mailing me your phone number so that we can have a chat because I am looking for descendents of people who lost their lives in the Lonsdales. Incidentally that battle did affect a lot of people. My grandmother was going to marry a lad called David Skinner from Carlisle. He never came back. She married someone else. My mother was the result and here am I! It’s amazing to think what impact a German bullet can have. Kind regards Andy Leitch
It really is NOT my thing, I'm a typical Cumbrian and we all sound like idiots on TV ( lots of the word EH as a sentence filler). I don't do this for me and a large part of me wants to pretend I never got the email.
I do not however want to stop one of the many people who have contacted me, who have Lonsdales as family, from having their chance to show how proud they are of them. I am thinking of letting Mr Leitch have my number and listening to what he has to say. I would happily pass on details, with the permission of some of the other people, with Lonsdales in the family, to take part if they wished. Some of them are on this board and others are not.What do other members think?
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Re:Border TV proposed programme on the Lonsdales

Postby kerchi » Fri May 16, 2008 8:37 am

Spike,First of all, WOW! :ohmy: I certainly think it is worth just having a word with the guy just see what he has to say. I am probably in the same mind as you regarding this, especially after going live on the radio, which was quite scary to say the least! Do you think you would be interviewed? That's something I'm not sure I'd like because I'd probably do the same thing and add lots of 'erm' and 'err' into the sentence but then it could be an awarding experience. The idea is certainly a good one so even if they use info from your site (or even from a personal chat) that would be interesting, don't you think?The programme will be something many people will look forward to seeing in the future if it is ever produced.Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby petersloan » Tue May 20, 2008 1:42 pm

Well done Chris. It will be a super memorial to the Lonsdales and who knows how many people will start looking at Great Grandad/uncle etcs. papers in the loft after seeing something on TV? It could also be a pretty good plug for the forum! I say go for it - you'll be absolutely fine as long as you don't have to do it live!
Mind you, I'm not sure we can pick up Border TV in Malawi!Peter
petersloan
Corporal
Corporal

Postby spike » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:21 am

I spoke to none other than Mr Tim Backshall today( this may not mean much unless you are a follower of the soon to possibly be defunct Border News and Lookaround-where he is a presenter of the news).:cheer:
They are actually looking for people with memories of how the First World War affected families in the region( about 50 years too late in my opinion), for the 90th anniversay of the war ending. The person they had has fell ill.
At present, in my opinion they are trying the most difficult angle for the programme.
I gave them the contact to a man I know whose Great Uncle was a Lonsdale and killed on 18th November 1916, the closest link I've come across to the men who fell.
If anyone would like the chance to contribute, drop me a PM and I'll give you Tim's phone number. I think they are after family memories passed down from the war, and since my Grandmother was only one year old when her father died there are none.
If returning men didn't speak about it much, how less would a mother tell her one year old daughter and by the time she was old enough, it would hardly be fresh....
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Return to Talks & Events