List of Border Regiment related publications

Have you got any books that mention the regiment or any of the battalions? What are your favourite publications about the regiment? Got any recommendations for others?

Re: List of Border Regiment related publications

Postby kerchi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks Ian. Looking at the contents pages I can see I'd definitely like to get copies of the journal (as many as possible). I don't think they crop up very often on ebay so will just have to be patient I guess. I might have one more try at vol. 1 no. 1 and if I'm outbid again I'll have to leave it. There's always another time.

Must be great to have your parents files.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby Haks2009 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:55 am

Yesterday I became a member of this forum and mentioned in NEWS the book mentioned below. Was that the right place to do or should it have been on this page?
Regards,
Haks2009

Do you know theres' a book (OK my book) on 13 Platoon, B Company, 1 The Border Regiment. It' s out since 2009 and now I have started work on a second edition.

'No Return Flight, 13 Platoon at Arnhem 1944' tells the story of the search for the men aboard a huge Horsa glider that sailed into the Battle at Arnhem on 18 September 1944. The battle is still in its early phase when the pilots of the British engineless plane wish their passengers good luck in their race for the Arnhem bridges. Both the pilots and the airborne troops go their separate ways and go about their tasks to carry out their orders, possibly never to see each other again.
54 years later one of the pilots, Sergeant Morley 'Taffy' Williams, visiting the Netherlands for the annual commemorations of the battle, meets a Dutch journalist. Williams talks about the wish that has been with him for many years to find out what happened to his passengers of that fateful flight to Arnhem. As the thought keeps haunting him now that he is well in his eighties, he asks the Dutch journalist to help him find them.
That request started a search that lasted more than six years and which in the end led to a new and moving personal story of the Battle at Arnhem. In captivating stories of what happened to them before, during and after the Battle, the airbornes give the reader a surprising and gripping view on the events. As a fascinating consequence, the search has led, more than 60 years after the event, to several unexpected renewed personal contacts between the pilot and some of his passengers and relatives. It also rekindled the search for several of Morley's passengers that are missing to this very day.
Haks2009
Private
Private

Postby kerchi » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:49 am

Hi Haks,
For any kind of publication (books/magazines etc.) it is best to keep such postings here in the 'Publications' forum. As long as there is a specific Border Regiment presence in the book (not just a quick mention of them) it is perfectly fine to list it here in this thread or as a separate posting in 'Publications'. You may post as many images as you like about the book.

Your previous post was in 'Introduce Yourself,' which is there for anyone wishing to introduce themselves, not to publicise works. Please feel free to edit your previous post and introduce yourself not the book, thanks :-)

Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:48 pm

I have every copy of "The Border Magazine" from 1947 until amalgamation. Unfortunately . while legible,, they are not in good condition.. I was left them by a former soldier,
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:56 am

plbramham wrote:I have every copy of "The Border Magazine" from 1947 until amalgamation. Unfortunately . while legible,, they are not in good condition.. I was left them by a former soldier,
Paul

Shame about the condition but still a nice collection to have. How many people can say they have the full set? Are they water damaged / mouldy etc? Or does it look like mice have nibbled at them at some point? ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:19 pm

Some are in perfect condition, but most are "well thumbed"!
I might have some extra copies in my "archives", if anyone wanted to pursue the matter?
You are correct, they are hard to find and can be expensive ( especially the early ones)
I also have many "Lion and Dragon" magazines - the KORBR regimental "newsletter". No duplicates I'm afraid!
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:37 am

"Well thumbed"' I like the expression. At least they have had some interested readers flicking through the pages. Speaking of which, I'd certainly be interested in having a read of any copies you have. I must admit I know as much about the Borders post war as I do about quantum physics.....zero ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi Chris, They were published twice a year from 1947-1959 .
Now , I do have a "spare" first edition from 1947 ( A bit "tatty" though! - well read!). If you want it, you can have it for what I paid for it. Afraid not cheap £20 plus postage. The offer is there if wanted?
I bought this single item before I was left the full set by a former soldier.
Regards Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Previous

Return to Publications