The Story of The Border Regiment 1939-1945

Have you got any books that mention the regiment or any of the battalions? What are your favourite publications about the regiment? Got any recommendations for others?

The Story of The Border Regiment 1939-1945

Postby JohnFearn » Sat May 16, 2009 6:22 pm

The Story of The Border Regiment 1939-1945, Philip J. Shears. Published by Nisbet & Co., London, 1945 1948

Foreword
Preface
Chapter I........1st Battalion
Chapter II.......2nd Battalion
Chapter III......4th Battalion, T. A.
Chapter IV.......5th Battalion, T. A.
Chapter V........6th Battalion, T. A.
Chapter VI.......7th Battalion, T. A.
Chapter VII......8th Battalion (later 30th Battalion)
Chapter VIII.....9th Battalion (Service)
Chapter IX.......70th Battalion
Chapter X........18th Infantry Holding Battalion
Chapter XI.......The Home Guard
Appendix I.......Honours, Awards, and Mentions in Despatches
Appendix II......The Comforts Fund
Appendix III.....The Regiment Association

Although there is no general index, Appendix I does list regimental numbers for NCO and men appearing in the lists.  Most of the Battalion chapters have one or more Nominal Rolls of officers, usually at the date the Battalion proceeded overseas and other significant dates.I'm happy to check the various lists if anyone is looking for a particular name.
JohnFearn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: The Story of The Border Regiment 1939-1945

Postby kerchi » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:24 pm

Just found this on youtube relating to the above book.

In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi, Just repeating my reply in another thread to this subject, Paul

"I wish I knew where he finds copies for £10 - they seem to usually go for about £40 -£50! They are very hard to find, I have only seen three for sale in this area ( one of which I bought, but I didn't spend too much - £20)
Yes it is a rare book because in those days (post WW2, paper shortages etc) books were expensive possessions, hence why more people used libraries.
The reason it is a first edition is because there never was a second edition!
It's case of if you want a copy, you have to buy it when you see it, and accordingly pay the price.
With the 100th anniversary of WW1 coming up, people forget it is also the 75th anniversary of WW2 and thus I reckon Second World War prices will also become expensive.
Paul"
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:37 pm

I really wouldn't mind paying £40-50 for something I knew I would enjoy reading and keeping in my collection (can't really call it that yet as it doesn't consist of very much at the moment) but obviously £10-20 is certainly more like the kind of price I would prefer to pay. If I know I am going to pay more for such a collectible item I'd probably keep a reserve just in case it cropped up somewhere and I could get it at a moment's notice.....but sadly these things NEVER crop up whenever I look for them :|

Maybe he was lucky in finding it for that low price or he just forgot how much he really paid for it :-\
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Publications