The War Diary of 2nd Lt Harold Harding (look up)

Have you got any books that mention the regiment or any of the battalions? What are your favourite publications about the regiment? Got any recommendations for others?

Re: Fallen on the Somme; The War Diary of 2nd Lt Harold Hard

Postby CockneyTone » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:25 pm

Chris,thanks, I have started a new thread regarding the B & B.Will have to get stuck into the book again myself and get this thread back on its original track! ;D.Regards,scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby CockneyTone » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 pm

Borderites,Well had a good look through the diary again and have quite enjoyed it, a bit slow at times but it highlights the monotony and reality of life in and out of the trenches. Must admit I smiled a bit reading the letter from his 'batman' Pte Elson to Mrs Linzell apologising for returning Harold's under clothes with out washing them!Happy reading,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby kerchi » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:48 pm

Scottie,I have read some parts of the diary again. I do tend to agree with you that some sections are somewhat slow and he doesn't really say anything about anything, however, some parts do stand out a little and some of them are quite interesting to read.Tuesday 18th January, when he becomes ill and at the end of the day he feels like "nothing on earth" and then the next day he is taken to hospital with a temperature of 102 degrees. The part I found a little amusing was when, on Wednesday the 26th, he was "rather severely told off" by the sister because he went outside.I could spend hours quoting Linzell's diary even though some of it is mundane, the quirky parts or descriptions of some of the action did make me want to turn the pages. I'd like to be able to get in touch with the author of the book to ask for permission to use it but I don't know how it is best to do that; don't even know if he is still alive. Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby CockneyTone » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:28 pm

Chris,I have tried 'googling' the Author but have drawn a blank! Looking at the publication it came out in 1981, might be worth a try contacting the publishers, if they still exist!Regards,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby kerchi » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:34 pm

I tried that a while ago but all I got was a private home telephone number and the person on the other end had never heard of the publishers. Unless I got the number wrong I am not sure what other options there are.....a little frustrating >:( :-\

Last bumped by kerchi on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:34 pm.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Previous

Return to Publications