The War Diary of 2nd Lt Harold Harding (look up)

Have you got any books that mention the regiment or any of the battalions? What are your favourite publications about the regiment? Got any recommendations for others?

The War Diary of 2nd Lt Harold Harding (look up)

Postby CockneyTone » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:08 pm

Borderites!I have just obtained a copy of the said publication that apparently was one of 1k copies published in 1981. I am just starting to read through it but should anybody wish a day looked up please let me know, it covers 1st Jan - 30th June 1916!Regards,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Fallen on the Somme; The War Diary of 2nd Lt Harold Hard

Postby CockneyTone » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:12 pm

Chris,sorry, only just noticed your previous post on this book! For your info I hope to visit his grave at Dantzig Alley next week to pay my respects!regards,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby kerchi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi Scottie,No worries, it's a great diary and deserves another mention. What do you think of it so far? I would love to be able to use on the Wiki but unfortunately this publication just isn't old enough. I started a Linzell page on the wiki a while back but haven't progressed any further. Not even sure if the publisher exists any more as I tried to phone them about a year ago and all I got was a home number and the lady who answered had never heard of it!! :-Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Fallen on the Somme; The War Diary of 2nd Lt Harold Harding LINZELL MC

Postby kerchi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:41 pm

Wish I was joining you Scottie on your little visit; any chance of a photo for the wiki site please?  ;)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby CockneyTone » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:57 pm

Chris,no probs, will try and visit him. only just started reading it but enjoying it so far.Regards,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby kerchi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:52 pm

Scottie, Let me know what you think of your purchase as I have read this through a couple of times and would be interested of your views. I did find it a little vague in places but saying that it does give some insight to what was happening, even if sometimes it doesn't explicitly talk about the action but more about the 'minor' things that are happening at the time. Still, a riveting read nontheless.So, are you still doing your trips to the Somme? I can't remember but do you do your own tours? I'm still interested in going.Chris

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby CockneyTone » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:04 am

Chris,yep, still doing the odd bit of guiding, but don't advertise, just repeat custom and word of mouth. Just going over for a 'crafty' overnighter as I like to call them, taking three mates for a bit of a 'spring' walk around Flers on the Somme, also using it as a bit of a recce to look around Guedecourt as I have had an enquiry about running a visit/trip to there for someone.I have actually been ignoring the Great War a bit and concentrating on the Boer War as I am still hoping to get out there to follow my Grandfathers footsteps with the Borders! Hope to finish the Diary before my trip so will let you have my feedback. Would love to have a stroll around the Somme with you visiting the Border locations!Regards,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby kerchi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Scottie,Taking in a few walks to cover some of the Border's routes with you would be great, especially as I am interested in all battalions of the regiment (although you know my main preference is the 11th) so there would be plenty of choice, maybe someday soon. When we looked at some of the tours they were so expensive I would rather put it towards a bigger two week holiday from our every increasing list of places to visit, £500 for three nights up to £1000 for 5 nights is a little bit on the steep side :o for the amount of time away.Enjoy the diary, it has some interesting bits in it.Chris

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby CockneyTone » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Fellow Borderites, I managed to visit 2nd Lt Linzell MC to pay my respects and have posted a picture of his headstone!Regards,
Scottie.
Attachments
DSCN5065 (Small).JPG
DSCN5065 (Small).JPG
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby CockneyTone » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:53 pm

The family had a rather sad personal inscription engraved on the headstone;
NO NO NO OH GOD NOT FOR NAUGHT
Attachments