The Lonsdale Battalion 1914-1918

Have you got any books that mention the regiment or any of the battalions? What are your favourite publications about the regiment? Got any recommendations for others?

The Lonsdale Battalion 1914-1918

Postby spike » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:03 pm

The "Lonsdale Battalion" 1914-1918 by Colin Bardgett.ISBN 1 872350 65 8A worthy attempt to describe the Lonsdales story form the experience of one man and his research. A very readable, if difficult to obtain book( due to short production run), from a Penrith author and postman Colin Bardgett.
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Re:The Lonsdale Battalion 1914-1918

Postby kerchi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:40 pm

I would most definitely agree with Spike on this. It is a very readable book that has plenty of honest detail about the battalion. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone wishing to learn more about the Lonsdales during this time.Colin Bardgett is a distant relative of mine and I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years back. A genuinely nice guy.If you can get a copy of this book then you are lucky. Not many going around. If you do find one, maybe at Abe Books or on eBay then expect to pay up to £30-40 :ohmy: ; it is worth it in the long run.Just to let you know I am still after a copy of this book so please let me know if anyone finds a copy!!!
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:13 am

Just another reminder, has anyone seen a copy of this book anywhere else other than Abe Books or ebay? I can't find one at all :( and this is one book I need to have in my collection.If you do see one (and of course you are not after it yourself), please let me know. Under £50 though would take the sting out of it!Thanks
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby spike » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:59 am

Have you tried asking here Norwest Books, Chris.
This is where I got mine from, some years back (for £20,then)...
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:01 pm

I tried on Norwest Books but I didn't have any luck. There are copies to be found but some of them are too expensive, one I found for £400!!!  :o That is too expensive for me. Will have to wait a little while longer.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: The Lonsdale Battalion 1914-1918

Postby JohnFearn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:24 pm

Border City Books in Carlisle currenyly have a copy listed on www.ABEbooks.co.uk at £60.00 plus £3.99 p&p

First copy I've seen listed in many months.
JohnFearn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby kerchi » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:26 am

Still a little too much for me but I haven't given up hope just yet. If I don't find one by the end of the year then I will have to go for the next one that comes up, as long as it dosen't cost the earth  :o I don't want to miss out on a copy for my collection.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:34 pm

I managed to get a copy of this book a while back from ebay for a reasonable price. I paid more than I wanted to and there is fading on the spine and front cover but as there are so few copies of this book to begin with and they hardly ever appear on ebay or abebooks etc., I just had to get it. It's in good condition and it came with the Lonsdale recruiting poster too! :D)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Publications