The Story of The Border Regiment 1939-1945,Philip J. Shears

Have you got any books that mention the regiment or any of the battalions? What are your favourite publications about the regiment? Got any recommendations for others?

The Story of The Border Regiment 1939-1945,Philip J. Shears

Postby plbramham » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:34 am

The Story of The Border Regiment 1939-1945, by Philip J. Shears.
Published by Nisbet & Co. 1948.
Contents: Includes WW2 operations of 1st – 9th Bns., 70 Bn., 18 Infantry Holding Bn. and the Home Guard. Includes Roll of Honour, awards, MIDs and the regimental association.
Description: Green cloth with silver gilt regimental decoration to the front & gilt lettering to the spine. 184 pages, 8 maps.
About the author: Major-General Philip James Shears CB was the only son of James Charles Shears, a mechanical engineer from Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, and Beatrice Jane Margaret Dumas, and was born on 6 April 1887 in Surbiton, Surrey. He was also a great-grandson of coppersmith Daniel Towers Shears, a partner of James Shears and Sons. He was Colonel of The Border Regiment from 1947 to 1952. He died on 7 April 1972

Copies do come up for sale (but rarely) and vary in price from £17 (my example from Oxfam!) to about £65. They always seem to be advertised as “first editions” making me think that perhaps there was only ever one edition printed?

I suppose it is the WW2 equivalent of Wylly’s book for the Great War. Unlike “When Dragons Flew” it covers all battalions during WW2. (Maybe time for a reprint? - I guess the museum might think that would detract from sales of the new edition of “When Dragons Flew” though?)

Incidentally, I have never, ever seen an original edition of Colonel Wylly’s “The Border Regiment in the Great War” for sale. ( Wasn't it privately printed and intended just for personal distribution by the Colonel, hence a very short print run?) I bet if one came on the market it would be several hundreds of pounds, maybe even over a thousand perhaps? I assume that the museum at Carlisle will have at least one example, but I have only seen two copies both of which are privately owned, and those owners obtained their copies many, many years ago. (Thank goodness for the reprint!)

Regards Paul.

P.S. For anyone looking for a more concise & readily available history of the regiment in WW2 try these links below to take a look at these two postings of pages from the war journal published by Regimental Association in September 1945 (not all battalions are included though):
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=1827 , and viewtopic.php?f=105&t=1828

(Note: images below this are of Shears' book, not the 1945 association journal)
Attachments
39 45 cover.jpg
39 45 cover.jpg (34.89 KiB) Viewed 5474 times
39 45 inside.jpg
39 45 inside.jpg (37.85 KiB) Viewed 5474 times
plbramham
General
General

Re: The Story of The Border Regiment 1939-1945,Philip J. She

Postby CockneyTone » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:55 pm

Paul,

thanks for sharing this, does 'Hyde Harrison' have much to say in the Forward? a lot of the info I have on the Border's in the Boer War comes from his 'pen'!

Best wishes,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby CockneyTone » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Paul,

'spooky'

there is a copy currently up for sale on E Bay with a 'buy it now' option of £29.13 should anybody be after a copy? (I am not selling it!)

Kind regards,
Scottie

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Story-Of- ... 231fc09c9b
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby plbramham » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:54 pm

CockneyTone wrote: does 'Hyde Harrison' have much to say in the Forward? a lot of the info I have on the Border's in the Boer War comes from his 'pen'! Best wishes,Scottie

Here you go!, Paul
Attachments
foreword.jpg
foreword2.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby CockneyTone » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks Paul,

interesting to see his foreward nearly fifty years after his first war!
Regards,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Book Review: Story of The Border Regiment 1939-45 (youtube v

Postby kerchi » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Just found this on youtube relating to the above book.

In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:24 pm

I wish I knew where he finds copies for £10 - they seem to usually go for about £40 -£50! They are very hard to find, I have only seen three for sale in this area ( one of which I bought, but I didn't spend too much - £20)
Yes it is a rare book because in those days (post WW2, paper shortages etc) books were expensive possessions, hence why more people used libraries.
The reason it is a first edition is because there never was a second edition!
It's case of if you want a copy, you have to buy it when you see it, and accordingly pay the price.
With the 100th anniversary of WW1 coming up, people forget it is also the 75th anniversary of WW2 and thus I reckon Second World War prices will also become expensive.
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby Pladhams » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:34 pm

Got my copy last year, interesting read!
Pladhams
Corporal
Corporal

Postby plbramham » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Always nice to hear that someone is interested in the WW2 history of the regiment.
I'm afraid that, nationally, there seems to be an obsession with WW1 and the Second World War is neglected, ( as is the Boer War)
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby Pladhams » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:57 pm

Well as a reenactor the only Infantry impressions i do are Border Regiment, specifically 4th Battalion 1939-45.
The WW2 history is neglected to a certain degree, great shame!
Pladhams
Corporal
Corporal

Next

Return to Publications