Glory is no compensation

Have you got any books that mention the regiment or any of the battalions? What are your favourite publications about the regiment? Got any recommendations for others?

Glory is no compensation

Postby dally » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:57 pm

By Ralph MayThe Border Regiment at Gallipoli 1915Tells the story of the 1st and the 6th Battalions of the Border Regiment at Gallipoli.Excellent read on it's own and as a reference book it's packed with detail.It starts with the 1st Battalion in Gibraltar in 1906 and chronicles there achievements until the evacuation. It picks up the 6th Battalion from it's formation on the 21st August 1914.An excellent read with detailed accounts of the action, maps and loads of photo's. There are also personal accounts.In the rear of the book are 2 appendixes. They are a roll of honour for all the officers and men who served in the 2 battalions during the Gallipoli campaign altho they may have died in other theatres of the war.Happy to do look ups.
Remembering all those who thought we were worth fighting for. Not Forgotten
dally
Corporal
Corporal

Re:Glory is no compensation

Postby kerchi » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Dally,This seems to be the next book of choice, also recommended by William Crookshanks (from the [url=http://www.heritage.kerchi.co.uk/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=2&func=view&id=448&catid=30]Gallipoli[/url] and [url=http://www.heritage.kerchi.co.uk/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=2&func=view&id=291&catid=30]Boomerang Fort[/url] threads on this site). As I have been writing a simplified history of the 1st Battalion, not exclusive to Gallipoli but throughout the war, this book comes highly recommended. I guess I need to obtain a copy for myself as I might be needing to ask the author for permission to include certain historical facts in my simplified history as I have done for [url=http://www.heritage.kerchi.co.uk/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=2&func=view&catid=41&id=619#619]this book[/url]. I look forward to getting this publication.Are the personal accounts listed in the references? Would be interested in getting hold of them if they are available anywhere.Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Publications