List of Border Regiment related publications

Have you got any books that mention the regiment or any of the battalions? What are your favourite publications about the regiment? Got any recommendations for others?

Re: List of Border Regiment related publications

Postby IanT » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Chris, unfortunately I don't know how long the magazine ran for. I note, however, that Michael's photo of the winning HQ team with the shield was from the September 1959 issue. At a guess it may have closed when the regiment merged with the Kings Own, but I can't be sure. Stuart Eastwood may know.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:00 pm

Ok, thanks Ian. I might email Stuart or Tony and see if they know. I don't think there are going to be any copies around for sale and if there are they're not going to be easy to find quite possibly pricey too.
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:33 am

IanT wrote:I have a bound copy of The Border Magazine: Journal of the Border Regiment, consisting of Volume 1 Number 1 September 1947, to Volume 1 Number 6 March 1950.
Ian Thirlwell

Ian, there is volume 1 number 1 available on ebay and I am thinking of bidding for it later tonight. What's the contents of journal?
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:50 am

I've put a scan of the first page in the gallery:
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Thanks Ian, that helps with my decision. Looks like there is quite a lot if interesting reading material in there.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:59 pm

I just spoke to the museum and they have some copies of the magazine, though didn't say which volumes/parts. They said there were three further volumes, so at a guess it was published up to amalgamation in 1959. I wonder how many are still floating around?
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:25 pm

I bet someone has got them all somewhere hidden in a loft or equally safe and dark place.

I bid for the magazine but it's getting too expensive. How much did you pay for yours?

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:45 pm

I didn't have to pay anything for it. My dad had it. I'm not sure why he didn't get the further volumes/parts, though for a spell in the early 50s he was attached to the East Lancs which, like the Border Regiment, formed part of the Lancastrian Brigade No 1 I.T.C. from December 1946. In an article in Vol 1 No 1 "any member of the I.T.C. may be posted to any of the group regiments". Having been posted back to the regiment in 1955 I presume he didn't continue to take the magazine, or get the bound copies. Pity!
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Yes, it's a shame he didn't continue with the other issues as that would have made an amazing collection. I suppose the main thing here though is not the quantity of issues you have more so that they came from your dad.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:09 pm

Yes. He did keep a number of other items that I've scanned & uploaded. A few years ago I got his file from the MOD place in Glasgow, and Mum's ATS file. Luckily since Mum was and still is living, they were sent for in her name so cost nothing.
I've scanned the contents pages of the 6 parts and uploaded them to the Ephemera gallery so you can see what else may be of interest.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Publications