Herbert Markland (19797) MM

This is the place to ask for assistance in your research.

Herbert Markland (19797) MM

Postby GrannyShabs » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:34 pm

Hi
I have been researching my family tree for a number of years and have failed miserably to find information regarding my granddad's, (Herbert Markland dob12.01.1898 Walmer St, Wigan), military service. I know he was awarded the Military Medal in 1917 but have no idea why he received it. My dad (who is 87 and still going strong) also does not know why, and I would love to be able to give him some more info if possible. I have searched on Ancestry etc and have his medal card (but no success finding his service record). Has anyone any suggestions how I might be able to find out more information? Sadly, one of the only things I have been able to confirm is that someone (no idea who) sold my granddad's MM and Trio in 2014!!! Wish I'd known!!
Many thanks
Shabs
GrannyShabs
Private
Private

Re: Herbert Markland (19797) MM

Postby mrdeacon » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:58 pm

Hello Susan,

This is Mike from WW2 Talk.

I have had a look at the war diaries and found the page that Herbert was awarded his MM but sorry it doesn't say why ?
I will have a deeper look when I'm not as tired just to see if I can spot something I missed.

Regards Mike.
Attachments
43849_2305_1-00145.jpg
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby plbramham » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:10 pm

Hello,
Regrettably about two thirds of WW1 Military Medal citations were destroyed during WW2 bombing.
There is a project underway to list them, but obviously this means the project author has to " trawl" through all regimental and local record's :" ( e.g newspaper reports: " local man wins MM") - get my drift?
Without sounding disrespectful, figures show it would appear that almost one in twenty men got the MM! Effectively, it was not just awarded for bravery, sometimes just "efficiency". I have heard a tale that a Corporal got the MM for changing an officer's punctured tyre on his staff car in an "active zone".
I have head that an allocated number of MM's had to be given out weekly to each battalion thus they were thought to be "given out with the rations". I have also heard that men in a platoon " drew lots" who got the medal in their section!
I do not disrespect those who received the medal - I reckon they all deserved it..
Thing is , how many men should have got say VC,, DCM, but they died, as their action was not witnessed and approved by an officer did not.
Sorry but an WW1 MM is not a big deal,
Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby hussar1000 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:02 pm

The group was recently sold again and is with a Carlisle collector.
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to Requests and Look-ups