Border Reg graves at Auchonvillers Communal Cem

A place for photos of your ancestor and the battalion in which served.

Border Reg graves at Auchonvillers Communal Cem

Postby CockneyTone » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:11 pm

Visited these graves of Border regiment men at Auchonvillers, they were killed on 6th April 1916 after a bombardment on a communication trench according to Martin Middlebrooks guide to the Somme,does anybody know any more info on this incident please?

Regards,
Scottie.

Somme2008_087__Small_.jpg
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re:Border Reg graves at Auchonvillers Communal Cem

Postby croonaert » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:33 am

CockneyTone wrote:
Visited these graves of Border regiment men at Auchonvillers, they were killed on 6th April 1916 after a bombardment on a communication trench according to Martin Middlebrooks guide to the Somme,does anybody know any more info on this incident please?

Nothing at all mentioned in the Regimental History for this date as regards the 1/Borders. However, the War Diary has this...Dave

War diary extract.jpg
croonaert
Private
Private

Postby CockneyTone » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:50 am

Dave,thank you for this very quick response, just about to print off and get my eye glass out!Regards and best wishes,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby EJHall » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:53 pm

Hello DaveI just came across your photo of the graves in Auchonvillers Communal Cemetery, while doing some internet browsing in connection with my gr-grandfather. I believe one of the graves is his - although I've not had chance to visit for myself yet. His name was William Fleming, and he was killed 6 Apr 1916. If you have any other pictures or information about the men who died on that date, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Many thanks, EJ Hall.

Wm_Fleming.jpg
Wm_Fleming.jpg (4.3 KiB) Viewed 3052 times
EJHall
Private
Private

Postby kerchi » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:33 am

EJ Hall,

I think the best way to find out is to contact the Regimental Museum in Carlisle. I did this a couple of years ago to find out about my great grandfather of the 11th Battalion. They sent me some history and the roll of honour, which gave me details of about 800 men in total. If you wanted to know who else died on the same day as your great grandfather, this would be a good place to start.Is he from the 1st Battalion? On the next page of the War Diary (shown above for the 6th) it shows casualties for the week on the 8th April:

Enemy transport heard on the BEAUMONT-BEAUCOURT Road. Work of repairing damage of bombardment continues
Casualties Officers:- 2nd Lt. E. A. CROSSLAND 13th D.L.I. missing 5/4/16. Lt. J. B. SINCLAIR 10th BORDER Regt. wounded 6/4/16 to hospital 7/4/16. Other Ranks:- killed 11, died of wounds 2, wounded 14, suffering shell shock 3, wounded and prisoner 1, sick to hospital 35, rejoined from hospital 38.
2nd Lt. F. T. WILKINS 15th N. Fus. and 12 other Ranks proceeded to VALHEUREUX for trench mortar course
[illegible]Lt. W. de H. ROBINSON 3rd BORDER assumed duties as Town Commandant MAILLY MAILLET 3/4/16

If he was a Private, then we know that 11 were reported as killed that week. To pin point it further you really the roll of honour.You can see the whole month of April war diary on my site here: 1st Battalion war diary, April 1916The museum staff are usually very busy but I am sure they will accommodate you with a query, and a gentle reminder after a couple of weeks or so might help!Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Re: Border Reg graves at Auchonvillers Communal Cem

Postby CockneyTone » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:11 pm

EJ Hallfirst of all sorry not to have replied before but I did not see you post! So if you are still out there it appears that Lance Corp Fleming is one of the Graves I visited and photographed, please find below the entry from the CWGC site. FLEMING
Initials: W
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Border Regiment
Unit Text: 1st Bn.
Date of Death: 06/04/1916
Service No: 11840
Additional information: Husband of Isabella Fleming, of 6, Derby Street, Whelley, Wigan, Lancs.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: On North Boundary. If you search on the CWGC it will show you the names of the other men killed at the same time and buried alongside.I am not sure but I think one of them was a real 'Old Sweat' and may have seen service with the Regiment in the Boer War!Regards and sorry again for the lateness in my reply.
Cheers,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to Photographs