1 Border in Berlin 1958

A place for photos of your ancestor and the battalion in which served.

1 Border in Berlin 1958

Postby IanT » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:22 pm

I've just created a sub album and uploaded some photos showing 1 Border men in 1958. The photos were taken by my Dad who was serving there at the time. The images have been taken from scanned negatives that I came across, but I haven't yet cleaned up the scratches etc, so apologies for the quality.
The album is
gallery/album.php?album_id=145
Does anyone recognise any faces?
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Re: 1 Border in Berlin 1958

Postby kerchi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Ian,

What a great little collection; very impressive. Do you know what they are doing? Looks as though they are handing out awards of some kind for something and there seems to be a lot of happy faces.

I think the images look perfect as they are, scratches and all :-)

Thanks for sharing those Ian, a real treasure.

Chris
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Chris, I'm not sure what the awards were for, possibly an athletics competition. I hoped someone may recognise the shield, or even remember the occasion if they were there.
There are more images to come, certainly from when the regiment was Goettingen in 1957 before transferring to Berlin. I still have a few more negative strips to scan as well.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:19 pm

Athletics sounds like a possibility, it's difficult to say for sure. Would they not have done something like that in their physical training shorts and T shirts? It's a shame we can't see the writing on the board as that would have given us a big clue but I just can't make the writing out. Maybe someone else, in time, might recognise the shield.

I would love to see more images in the future so I will keep my eyes peeled :eeek: for new additions.
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:26 pm

This is one of my favourites Ian, you can see the joy in his profile even if he doesn't express it too much; he is certainly a happy chappy!
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:27 pm

And this is my other favourite, just a fantastic group photo with everyone smiling.
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby MichaelR » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Ian, I was with the 1st Battalion in Berlin (HQ MT section), at the time your pictures were taken, all the the Battalion Companys had a inter company competion called a "March and Shoot" which was a route march from barracks finishing up at the rifle range at Ruhlben Spandau, then live target firing took place to score points, I think the time taken on the route march was added to the target scores and the Company with a top score won the shield,I think your pictures may be of this competion.
I recognise some faces but it's a long time ago the names have gone, but nice to see the pictures.
Michael.
MichaelR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby IanT » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:57 pm

Michael,
March and Shoot makes sense. Thanks.
Apart from immediate family friends I didn't know any of the other troops as I was away at boarding school during term time, King Alfred School, Plön, Schleswig-Holstein.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby IanT » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 pm

The scoreboard shows companies B, D & HQ, & the bottom row has SP in the first column. Unfortunately the wroting at the top and the column headings are not legible. B company's scores and total are unclear, D company total score was 151, HQ scored 97, can't see the total for SP but the individual scores look as if it was pretty high.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:40 am

You've got good eyes Ian to see the score board (unless you have a bigger image). :geek:

Michael, your idea of march and shoot seems really obvious now that you have mentioned it, should've thought of that ::) . Just had a look at your excellent Berlin photos again (making sure they are all still there after the site transfer). It's fascinating to see these photos taken by different people in different parts of the country at roughly the same period of time.
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Next

Return to Photographs