Two photo's

A place for photos of your ancestor and the battalion in which served.

Two photo's

Postby TanjaAnderson » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Hallo,

Hereby two photo's.

The photo (Gilbert Anderson (right)
I do not know who the man on the left and the man in the middle is. The man on the rigth is my uncle Gilbert Anderson.
Who are these two man?

The second photo is my uncle when he enlisted on the 22-06-1941. He went to the 70th Border Regiment.

Greetings

Tanja
Attachments
Gilbert Anderson (right).jpg
410622.jpg
410622.jpg (45.91 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
TanjaAnderson
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Two photo's

Postby plbramham » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:31 am

Greetings Tanja,
Your uncle was certainly in the Border Regiment - you can tell by his cap badge, but there was no such unit as "70th Border" .I'm curious about the term "70th Border" and wondered were you found it, is it perhaps in poor handwriting which may have been misread? Perhaps it means his Border unit were part of the 70th Brigade or something like that?
I'll see if I can find anything with "70" in it which refers to The Border Regiment in WW2,
Cheers Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:53 am

Got it! (I was sure the WW2 Borders were part of some bigger "70th" unit, rather than it being a specific Border term.)
He was in the 4th battalion The Border regiment who were part of the 70th infantry division !

The chain was:4th Battalion, The Border Regiment - 23rd Brigade - 1st Armoured Division - 70th Infantry Division

At the outbreak of war the 4th battalion were the Westmorland territorial soldiers. They suffered high losses leading up to the evacuation at Dunkirk 1940. After this their numbers were made up with new soldiers, including your uncle, and in 1941 the 70th Infantry Division were in North Africa during the siege of Tobruk. From there the Division went on to serve in Burma as part of of Brigadier Orde Wingate’s ‘Chindit’ Long Range Penetration (LRP) groups.
To read a more detailed account of 4th border in WW2 go to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peoples ... 4388.shtml
Hope this gives you some clues where to look for more information - there's a lot of books websites etc about Tobruk, Chindits & the Burma campaign,
Best Wishes, Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:38 am

That's weird, I was just replying to Tanja's introduction and said exactly the same thing, that he was probably in the 70th Infantry Division as I have never heard of a 70th Border Regiment!
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby TanjaAnderson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Hallo,

It is definally in his Serice Record (attachment).

So it is indeed weird that he enjoyd the 70th battalion regiment, while you guys say that it did not exist.
A good thing to sort out.

Greetings

Tanja
Attachments
121209 - deel van Service Record Gilbert - betreffende de 70th battalion Border Regiment.pdf
(343.37 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
TanjaAnderson
Corporal
Corporal

Postby TanjaAnderson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Hallo,

And this pdf is his leavecard.

Greetings

Tanja
Attachments
000006 - Leavecard.pdf
(38.53 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
TanjaAnderson
Corporal
Corporal

Postby kerchi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:53 pm

TanjaAnderson wrote:It is definally in his Serice Record (attachment).....So it is indeed weird that he enjoyd the 70th battalion regiment, while you guys say that it did not exist.

Tanja,

I just mentioned in your introductory thread that I was wrong about the 70th Battalion Border Regiment, which does exist and was indeed a young soldiers' battalion. Sorry for confusing you ::)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby TanjaAnderson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:28 pm

Thank you very much. :lol: ;-)
TanjaAnderson
Corporal
Corporal

Postby plbramham » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:07 am

Yes,
Like Kerchi, I have to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong – I had never heard of the 70th (Young Soldiers) Battalion, The Border Regiment, but you are right, it is in the book.
I had wondered how they came by the number designation “70th“ i.e. what happened to the other potential 60 odd Border battalion numbers?
However it appears that the 70th was the designation number of WW2 Young Soldiers units whichever regiment they were part of.
There is a Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Young Soldiers webpage, which indicates they were all designated as 70th Btn., regardless of regiment: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peoples ... 9325.shtml
I have also found a 70th Btn. (Young Soldiers) for The Norfolk , Suffolk, Berkshire Regiments, & The Durham Light Infantry. They must have been in all regiments? - I reckon it could be a little known aspect of WW2 which could make a good TV documentary.
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby TanjaAnderson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:16 pm

Hallo,

It is oke.

Does anybody have some photo's?

Greetings

Tanja
TanjaAnderson