Amos Lewis 11323 1st & 6th Border Regiment

A place for photos of your ancestor and the battalion in which served.

Amos Lewis 11323 1st & 6th Border Regiment

Postby Goglee » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:07 am

This is the only photo I know of,of my Great Grandfather Lance Corporal Amos Lewis KiA 19th May 1917 Arras
Attachments
Amos Lewis.jpg
Goglee
Private
Private

Re: Amos Lewis 11323 1st & 6th Border Regiment

Postby kerchi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:23 pm

Good to see you have at least one photo. I thought I would never know what my great grandfather looked like until my mother found some documents at my grandparents house after they passed away. Inside were two photos and I was thankful that I was able to put a face to the brief information I was able to piece together about him.

Even though we might only have one, or two photos if we are lucky, of our ancestors who fought in the war there are many people who don't know at all what their ancestor looked like, so I do feel quite fortunate in that respect. There might be a newspaper photo possibly different to the one above. Have you tried searching (if you live near or in Cumbria) the library archives for an obituary photo perhaps?
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:55 pm

My Dad's mother's family were well into family history. In the past couple of years I learnt of the existence of an old photo album with old photos including some of my great great grandparents!! He was born in 1820 in Newcastle & she in 1823 in Chelsea (her parents moved north at some point). Among the interesting objects that have been kept is a billet doux written by him to her in 1840 not long before they married.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby Goglee » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:17 pm

I came about the photo in very much the same way as you Chris, when my Grandmother died my Aunt kept most of her personal belongings. When I started doing my family tree on Ancestry,I asked my aunt if she had any old photos of the family and there it was along with another soldier of the Lancs Fusiliers that has Uncle Charlie WW1 written on the back. I found Uncle Charlie's records & it seems he was not in the L.F. but the the Manchester and then the Cheshire Regiments.
Amos was born and enlisted into the Border Reg in Pendleton,Salford,Lancashire.
He had 3 daughters,my gran being the middle one,some of the family still live in the Manchester area so they may have another photo or even his medals etc,something else to pursue in the future.
Joe
Goglee
Private
Private

Postby kerchi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:10 pm

I found it interesting what can turn up in family documents etc. Keeping family belongings, photos and documents certainly makes our researching a great deal easier and exciting when the pieces of the puzzle come together. Good luck with your future research, maybe it will yield even more positive results :-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:11 am

Hi
I have recently found one set of medals to my Great great uncle John (Jackie) Park, these came with pictures of his brother (Hugh Park) and himself both In the cumberland yeomanry
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Photographs