Seven Brothers from Kendal (image)

A place for photos of your ancestor and the battalion in which served.

Seven Brothers from Kendal (image)

Postby Lin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:46 pm

Apologies, I couldn't get the image accepted with my earlier message, so I'll try again with a reduced size. Fingers crossed...
Lin

KenW.jpg
KenW.jpg (29.18 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
Lin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re:Seven Brothers from Kendal (image)

Postby dally » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:10 am

Hi Lin.Great photo. I can't quite make out their names. Is it Dixon's? If so, do you have there first names?I have a list of the names off the Kendal memorial here, I got it off a website and not directly from the memorial and there seems to be a few mistakes on my list. Any how, on my list there is in fact 7 Dixons. It would be interesting if I could put faces to names and to see how many (if any) are the brothers.CheersStewart.
Remembering all those who thought we were worth fighting for. Not Forgotten
dally
Corporal
Corporal

Postby dally » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:58 am

Sorry Lin,Just seen your other post:blush: I have a few details about Ernest and Walter so it's nice to put a face to the namesThanksStewart
dally
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Lin » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi Stewart,
I've also been working on the main Kendal WW1 Memorial but only have six Dixons. Walter and Ernest (two of the seven brothers), plus another Walter, then Robert D, Joseph and Oswald S. I don't have any family details for either Joseph or Oswald S, but the others don't appear to be immediately related (with the exception, of course, of Walter and Ernest - from the photograph - who were brothers). However, in saying this I've no doubt there will be family ties somewhere along the line. If you have a list of names from the Memorial I would also be fascinated to know if it offers any clues on who GH Robson may have been - his service details are proving really difficult to pin down. Cheers.
Lin PS as a matter of interest, who is the seventh Dixon you have down?
Lin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby kerchi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:19 pm

Lin,I have, in the past when researching using our trusty Google search engine, come across simply by accident a story of 5 brothers surviving WW2. For the life of me I can't remember where I saw this but reading your post just reminded me that I had seen this, maybe about 2 years ago. It wasn't related to the Border Regiment so I didn't save any details (as I would normally save them in my favourites) but still, I was intrigued nonetheless. I think they were all serving in the army as well, but unsure if they were all infantry. To have that many brothers survive is nothing short of amazing, especially when some unfortunate families lost them all. In this case, the Dixon brothers were extremely lucky to make it home even with the tragic loss of Ernest and walter. I haven't yet read or even seen anything else about more than 5 brothers surviving WW1 but I would be interested to know more about the Dixon brothers. Do you know of any other documentation? Maybe there is something in one of the local newspapers.Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby dally » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:12 pm

Hi LinOnce again my mistake, there are only 6 Dixons on the memorial. The seventh name I have is of Richard Dixon.

According to Soldiers who died, he was born and enlisted in Kendal. There must be a reason why he's not on the memorial.Details are,
Dixon, Richard. Age unknown, Died 1/7/16. Number 14428 1st Bat. Border Regiment. Buried at Hawthorn Ridge No 2 Cemetery.As for G H Robson. I can't find anything either I'm afraid but I hope to go to the library soon so I'll keep an eye out.He's a picture of Richard Dixons grave.

All the headstones in this cemetery are touching each other.

11111.jpg
dally
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Lin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi Chris and Stewart,I'm afraid my knowledge of 'the Dixon brothers' is very limited and really stops with the image I posted the other day. Whilst it seems that Walter, Ernest and Fred were with the Border Regiment, I'm not sure about the others. According to the article Albert was with the 'Canadians', with the remaining three brothers still being referenced to 'Lord Derby's Sceme' - I'm guessing they must have been waiting to be called up. The article was published on 22/1/1916. I'm not even certain of the full names of these brothers, all I have are their initials - J.M., H.F., and H.Also, whilst there are only six Dixon deaths listed on Kendal's main Memorial, it wouldn't totally surprise me if there were others. I've already come across a number of names which aren't included on the Memorial but they were clearly Kendalians. Then there are other names on the Memorial whose connections with the town seem rather remote. Quite what criteria was used is anyone's guess. If someone has access to Soldiers Who Died it may be interesting to see what comes up if Kendal is used as a search, assuming that this is possible - I wonder if it would produce even more Dixons???Lin
Lin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby dally » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi Lin,Good idea about using Kendal as a search word. I've just looked at "born" in Kendal and have had 8 returns.Ernest Dixon 8th Bat Border, died 10/4/18
George Dixon, 24th Welsh Regiment, died 6/11/18 in Eygpt
Joseph Dixon, RAMC died 24/10/18
Richard Dixon, 1sr Bat Border, died 1/7/16
Robert Dixon, 7th Bat Border. 15120 died 18/9/18
Robert Dixon, 10th Bat Kings Royle Rifle Corp, r/2363 died 13/3/16
Walter Dixon, 8th Bat Border, 15122, Died 5/7/16
Walter Dixon, 8th Bat Border, 19360, died 11/7.16I'll have a do at "Enlisted" in Kendal now.:)
dally
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Lin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:57 pm

Just by way of a quick follow-up to my last post I've had a quick look at the 1901 census - at that time the family is shown as:
Ada M Dixon 1
Albert Dixon 19
Ernest Dixon 10
Fred Dixon 6
Harold Dixon 4
Herbert Dixon 12
J M Dixon 17
John Dixon 45 (father)
Margaret Dixon 45 (mother)
Thomas Dixon 21
Walter Dixon 8
And then there were eight brothers and one sister! Lin
Lin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby dally » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:06 pm

Under "enlisted" in Kendal we have 8 again.7 from the born in Kendal list are on this one. Missing is,Robert Dixon, 10th Bat Kings Royle Rifle Corp, r/2363 died 13/3/16. He enlisted in Blackburn.And in addition to the first 7 is,Oswald Dixon, 8th Bat Border. Born in Burneside, died, 26/8/16.Under "residence" in Kendal, there are actually none but I have come across loads that don’t specify where they lived.That was a good exercise.:)
dally
Corporal
Corporal

Next

Return to Photographs