Border Regiment Death Pennies

A place for photos of your ancestor and the battalion in which served.

Border Regiment Death Pennies

Postby spike » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:01 pm

The Death Penny or Memorial Plaque was awarded to the families of those killed in the war. It came along with a scroll, but obviously more pennies have survived than scrolls. If you have any pictures of Plaques or scrolls for the Border Regiment, then please post them on here 19455 Private John Farrer.
Penny.jpg
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Re: Border Regiment Death Pennies

Postby kerchi » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Spike,

I finally found out what happened to my great grandfather's death penny after my recent visit to see my parents. My dad had a box of black and white photos in their own presentation cards (probably from around the 80's, date unknown) and on one of those photos was the death penny I have been searching for.

In the photo my grandfather is handing over a plaque and shaking hands with a someone from the Royal British Legion in Appleby, (42 Boroughgate, on the right hand side past High Wiend, the street in which my grandparents and great grandparents lived) and at the top of the plaque is John Bardgett's death penny, small in the photo but clearly visible.

I will have to ask my dad for a scan of the photo. At least now I know where it is (hopefully they haven't moved it since it was donated), somewhere it will be looked after. :-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby CockneyTone » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Chris,

well done on your detective work, be nice to discover if it is still there?
Regards,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby petertheelder » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:06 am

Here is a photo of another Border Regiment "Death Penny" issued to my Great-grandmother to honour her son, Sgt. Walter Dixon, of the 8th Battalion, last seen "fighting bravely in the German trenches" on July 3, 1916 in the battalion attack on the Liepzig Redoubt, east of Authuille, Somme.

The family must have had the plaque mounted in the oak frame which was designed for display on a wall.
Attachments
Death Plaque Comp.jpg
petertheelder
Corporal
Corporal

Postby CockneyTone » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:29 am

Peter,

thank you for sharing this with us.
Although they are very sad its nice to see them proudly displayed and remembering the man,
Regards,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby plbramham » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:39 am

Helllo, Peter,
I actually have done some research on your ancestor Walter Dixon for Spike's Kendal Pals 8th Btn website (freewebs.com/kendalpals). It turns out he lived about 400 yards away from me at Brookside, Highfield ( now part of Windermere Road), Kendal. About a dozen 8th Btn casualties lived within a half mile radius of his home. He is commemorated on the Gilbert Gilkes and Gordon engineering company ( still in existence) plaque in the town, together with Oswald Steele Dixon who I think from census details must have been related (cousin?) as Oswald's father later went to live on Highfield Kendal, presumably with Walter's family? Highfield was quite a "well to do" part of the town ( now the large houses are mainly guest houses), and I wonder if Walter was a manager at the engineering company ( they exported turbines all over the empire) as Spike's site states that his nickname was "Togo" Perhaps he had visited that country on an export trip for his company? I'm attaching a photo of O.S. Steele's family grave as St Oswald's (I wonder if he was named after his parish?) churchyard in Burneside, a small village about a mile and a half from Kendal. Incidentally, Burneside is the home of Cropper's paper mill, who manufature the red paper for the Remembrance Sunday poppys. Hope this is of interest. Check the kendalpals site for details of other men who lived near your ancestor e.g. J.E.Proctor, W.E.Jones, R.Gilpin, & especially F.W.Armstong. Best Wishes, Paul
Attachments
dixongrave.jpg
Dixon family grave, Burneside
Gilkesplaque001133.jpg
Gilbert Gilkes & Gordon plaque, Kendal
DixonW_BrooksideHighfield.jpg
Brookside, Highfield, Kendal
plbramham
General
General

Postby spike » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:44 pm

A picture of Serjeant Walter Dixon also known as "Togo" from the Westmorland Gazette....
DixonW15122Sgt.jpg

Can I get a copy of the Death Penny picture for my site, please Peter?
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby kerchi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:18 pm

CockneyTone wrote:Chris,

well done on your detective work, be nice to discover if it is still there?
Regards,
Scottie

Cheers Scottie. I certainly hope it's still there. If I lived closer I would drop in and have a look and ask if I could take a close up photo of it.

Correction on my previous description of the B&W photo, my granddad is not shaking hands with the Royal British Legion fella, they are both holding the plaque with both hands as it is quite large and looks heavy. I did get a photo from my dad but the resolution wasn't high enough so I have asked for another one. As soon as I get it I will post a copy here.

Unfortunately, even at a higher resolution, John's name won't be visible on the penny but at least you'll get the gist! :-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:22 pm

petertheelder wrote:Here is a photo of another Border Regiment "Death Penny" issued to my Great-grandmother to honour her son, Sgt. Walter Dixon......The family must have had the plaque mounted in the oak frame which was designed for display on a wall.

What a great plaque, beautifully made and presents the penny nicely to remember Walter. Something very much to treasure :-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:58 pm

I haven't received a higher resolution copy of the photo from my dad yet so I thought I would include the low-res one for now so you get the idea of what I was talking about earlier. My granddad (on the right), who was in the RTR, is wearing his jacket with the infamous insignia. Wish I was there to see it.

001.jpg
My grandad and plaque with my great grandad's death plaque at the top

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Next

Return to Photographs