Border Regiment Death Pennies

A place for photos of your ancestor and the battalion in which served.

Re: Border Regiment Death Pennies

Postby andyfromgolf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:31 pm

I have the plaque from my great Uncle Private Harold Frederick Clare 17925 1st Battalion Border Regiment. It is mounted on a wooden frame together with his photo and 3 medals, I guess it was home made? It would be nice to find a home for this but I guess there is a lot of this sort of thing around still.
Attachments
P1010855a.jpg
P1010855a.jpg (268.07 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
P1010857a.jpg
P1010857a.jpg (184.39 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
andyfromgolf
Private
Private

Postby plbramham » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:33 am

Hi , Welcome to the Forum,
I'm sure most of our members would be delighted to give your item a home!!
Seriously though, the very best place for it would be at the regimental museum at Carlisle Castle. They are currently in the process of moving to larger premises and will have much more space to display items. They can be contacted at:
King's Own Royal Border Regiment Museum, Carlisle Castle, CARLISLE CA3 8UR Telephone: 01228 532774 Email korbrmuseum@aol.com
Regarding your item, as individual things - medal group, photo, scroll & plaque, they are not uncommon, but are sought after. (the plaque alone usually fetches £80 -£100). Having them all framed together with a photo greatly adds to the interest and value.
Some of these frames were home made, but most were made as bespoke items by joiners, or there were some " off the peg" frames avaialable - bear in mind over a million of the plaques were issued to next of kin of service men ( and women, but those are scarce and valuable) who died during the war.
Of course you should also consider that the collection nicely mounted together like this does have quite a value- I certainly think someone would pay at least £250 for it, and very probably much more. ( There is an auctioneers in Carlisle, I won't advertise their name here, who sell a lot of Brder Regt. medals, insignia, etc)- A quality item
Hope this helps, Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:43 am

Just checked his CWGC details:

CLARE, HAROLD FREDRICK
Rank:Private Service No:17925 Date of Death:27/02/1916 Age:17 Regiment/Service: Border Regiment 1st Bn.
Grave Reference1301 . Cemetery GREAT HARWOOD CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of Charles and Laura Clare, of 47, Lord St., Rishton, Blackburn.

He was 17 - an underage soldier. This greatly adds to the interest and value of the item!
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Previous

Return to Photographs