PHOTOGRAPH: BORDER REGIMENT IN FRANCE

PHOTOGRAPH: BORDER REGIMENT IN FRANCE

Postby elizabeth » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Hello -I've been the custodian of my mother's photographs since she died over 40 years ago. Recently I decided to look through the 'negatives' and was surprised to find a picture of a group of 1st World War soldiers standing in front of what looks like a French Railway Station. At the centre of the picture is a Chef. I have it on good authority that some of the soldiers are from the Border Regiment (their cap badges identify them). Several of my ancestors were in the Lonsdale Battalion of the Border Regiment during the 1st World War, so I'm guessing this photograph has something to do with them, but it would be good to know when and where this photograph was taken and the circumstances surrounding it.Can anyone help?
Attachments
1st World War[1] (2).jpg
elizabeth
Private
Private

Re: PHOTOGRAPH: BORDER REGIMENT IN FRANCE

Postby kerchi » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi,Glad you managed to get the photo uploaded. Do you have a higher resolution copy, I can't make out the name on the wall :-\Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby elizabeth » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Hello Chris -I'm sorry I don't have a higher resolution copy of this photograph, but I can tell you that the words on the shutter read CHAUFFAGE CENTRAL ELECTRICITE. Literally this means 'electric central heating' though I'm told that it could also mean 'heating provided from a central point within a town/village', which is more likely, given that the photograph was taken during the 1st World War.This isn't very helpful in identifying a location I'm afraid.Elizabeth
elizabeth
Private
Private

Postby spike » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:13 am

It looks like a hotel or auberge of some sort, so the advertising of electric powered heating(or hot water) may be a genuine "selling point" of the time. Of the soldiers most do not seem to have the distinctive Londsdales cap badge (whereas the Border Regiment cap badges are a possibility). Only the 3rd and 4th men from the right whose badges cannot be seen very well may have a Lonsdales cap badges, unfortunately the picture is too low a resolution and size to tell.Image
The top is a Lonsdales cap as worn by Colonel Machell, the bottom a Border Regiment cap. Some men wore their collar badges which were a similar shape to the pictured ones,as cap badges, but it is unlikely they would do so in France.
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Return to 11th Battalion