11th Battalion Paperwork Brothers, Stoddart?

11th Battalion Paperwork Brothers, Stoddart?

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi
Just wondering what everyone thought about this paperwork from the 11th Battalion.
Pictures are attached (I hope)
Attachments
IMG_1603.JPG
IMG_1602.JPG
IMG_1601.JPG
IMG_1599.JPG
IMG_1598.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: 11th Battalion Paperwork Brothers, Stoddart?

Postby plbramham » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:49 am

Hello,
Welcome to the forum.
A very nice selection of items. Are you a relative of the Stoddarts or is it a collection you have built up yourself?
Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi

I bought the lot from an antiques shop.

Cheers
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby kerchi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:47 pm

The 11th Battalion is my battalion of particular interest.

I have a transcribed version of the Record of the XIth Service Battalion Border Regiment (Lonsdale) on the wiki so I know it well. The postcards and photos look interesting so do feel free to post any images in the image gallery.

Very impressed with your collection - and maybe a little jealous too! ;-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi

I will get round to taking some more pictures! (I promise :)) I think the Blackhall camp postcard is my favorite! I have another copy of the Record to a Private Hill. I have just recently got into the Border Regiment and my hat have I been missing!! :O I also have a Silver Box, Sword and Sam Browne (But that's to a 5th Battalion man)

Cheers
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby IanT » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:18 pm

I'd be interested if you find anything about their family background. I have Stoddarts in my family tree, but traced only in late 18th & early 19th centuries in Newcastle-on-Tyne.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby kerchi » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:32 pm

BorderRegiment3095 wrote:I think the Blackhall camp postcard is my favorite!

I only have two or three decent images of Blackhall on the wiki, kindly passed on to me by forum member (and legend) Spike, from an original small booklet titled 'The Lonsdale Battalion Border Regiment, Sept. 1914 to June 1915', dated from that period. The booklet shows the men in formation etc. on and next to the Grandstand plus one of the grandstand from a distance. Which do you have?

BorderRegiment3095 wrote:I have another copy of the Record to a Private Hill. I have just recently got into the Border Regiment and my hat have I been missing!! :O I also have a Silver Box, Sword and Sam Browne (But that's to a 5th Battalion man)

Yes, it's infectious when you realise how incredibly interesting the Border Regiment was throughout its existence.

I will certainly look forward to seeing some more of your photos/scans etc. ;-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi all, I will search for information on the Stoddart's!!
I will put some more photos up now. The Blackhall booklet has three photos
1-The Earl of Lonsdale.
2-The Lonsdale football team
3-The Lonsdale Representational Group

Some more of the postcards, one having a line saying "Mr Lattimer Joiner is dead" and one posted to "Lewis Gun School"

Finally there is a picture of a equipment chest to "275097 PTE.J.F.IVESON S.L.I (Somerset Light Infantry" but previously 2703 Border Regiment, does anyone know his battalion? Any help would be great!!!

Thanks again!!!!

B.E
Attachments
IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1627.JPG
IMG_1626.JPG
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby spike » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi,

Very interesting collection.
The Booklet produced by Lady Valda Machell is quite a find. About the size of a large exercise book (circa old style school books). Valda Machel produced it in memory of her husband and gave copies to the Lonsdales and their families.
I have seen a similar collection in the sale room at a Carlisle auction (not the same collection) that went for £110
including the Valda Machell book. Does it have the officers pictured at the end?
OfficersWhoLeftFortheFront600dpi.jpg

The Stoddart Bothers were from 7 North Street,Fletchertown. William enlisted first in about November 1914 ( this is appproximate ) and was in B Company and as you show later joined a Lewis Gun section. He appears to have survived the war.
John Stoddart enlisted 25th May 1915 and was posted to D Company. He gave his occupation as collier prior to enlisting. He rose to the rank of Serjeant and served with the battalion through almost the whole war, including it's amalgamation into the 1/5th Border Regiment. Unfortunately he died of wounds at Rouen in hospital on 24th October 1918 just before the war ended.
He may well have been wounded in this action
On 1st October 1918, Joncourt fell to the 32nd Division and they pushed on to the Beaurevoir Fonsomme Line. This was strongly held and for it's part, the 5th Border Regiment were attacking Chataigies Wood and Preselles, but were unable to reach their objectives due the the strength of the defences, despite trying on two seperate occasions. Second Lieutenants W.V. Matthews and K.E.G. Buy were killed in these actions along with 19 Other Ranks and 99 wounded, including 6 Officers.

19542 Serjeant John Stoddart 1/5th Border Regiment, formerly 11th Border Regiment is buried in St Sever Cemetery Extension Rouen in grave S.II.FF.17.
Stoddart_J_19542_Sgt-1.jpg

Can I ask you if you would be willing to share pictures of some of your postcards with my website on the
11th Border Regiment. The one of
B Company digging trenches is of interest as are the other postcards.
You would get full recognition as the source of the pictures.
In return i would be willing to send you electronic copies of any pictures on my site you could use.
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby spike » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:49 pm

I have a booklet that contains the picture of the Representative Group from a booklet produce by Thurnams in 1915, also it has slightly different pictures of the Football Team
page 49.jpg

page 44.jpg

page 45.jpg

I do wonder if the pictures are included because one or other or both the Stoddart Brothers are present
in the pictures......
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Next

Return to 11th Battalion