1st WW

1st WW

Postby redbert » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi I am a new member. I am hoping some kind sole can HelPPPPPP me, i have received data from the Borders Museum concerning my wifes Father a ROBERT CARTMELL Reg/no: 9690 who we believe served with the 1st battalion at Gallipoli.
they provided a Medal Card which is interesting, as R/C was issued with the SWB. However what they dont inform us is was R/C a regular Soldier or a Volunteer, Would any one know this fact ???????, also they did not state if his Service Records or Attestation Papers were available, again would some kind sole advise me where i might obtain copies
Alas if i may explain i am totally looking for a needle in a Hay-Stack, as my wife only recallection of her father is his name, as her mum & dad parted company when she was only 4 years of age, her was never spoken about ??????, by the family, apart from the fact he was in the 1st WW, being wounded more than once, we can only rely on my wifes sister who is 10 years older than my wife, who states she can rememeber he limped, which ties in with the Medal Card info that he was awarded the SWB.
i started searching for R/C many months ago, i started by looking for how many R/Cs there were in the 1WW, 13 in total
7 i discounted, as they were killed, 3 had other christain names (again discounted) that left 3. one was a Seg/t (not likely)
one was a Gunner (not 100% certain) then R/C in the Border Reg Private. who appears to fit the bill. however i need to trace his records to be 100% certain, e,g, where he was Born Date of birth etc etc perhaps his Mums or Fathers name, which might match the little data i have of ROBERT CARTMELL,which the Museum did not supply, sorry to be so long winded but i am hitting a brick wall, my only hope is some-one my assist me in my quest to find the elusive R/C many thanks Redbert
redbert
Private
Private

Re: 1st WW

Postby kerchi » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Welcome to the forum Redbert.

Your request is an interesting one and I do hope you have success in finding the information you are looking for.

A couple of our members do have access to Ancestry.co.uk so hopefully if they pick up your post they might have a look for you to see if the possible Robert Cartmell of the Border Regiment is your guy from his service records (if they exist as it is possible they do not survive).

Regarding Regular or Volunteer it is difficult to say for sure but if he was serving in the 1st Battalion he would have been a regular, however, it is possible that he could have started as volunteer and trained with one of the reserve battalions before being transferred to the 1st Battalion and going to Gallipoli.

Chris
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby IanT » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:42 pm

RC's medal index card is on Ancestry but unfortunately there is no service or pension document. Like for many other WW1 soldiers these haven't survived.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Postby IanT » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:54 pm

I did a quick check in the 1911 census. If he was from Carlisle, there is a possible candidate who was 16 years old then, living in Carlisle with parents Robert (age 42 so unlikely to have served in WW1) and Elizabeth. The boy worked for the Glasgow & South Western Railway as an apprentice locomotive fitter. He had a number of siblings: John, Sarah, Thomas, Lizzie, Willie, Violet and Doris.
Ian
IanT
Major
Major

Return to 1st Battalion