2/4th in Cherat Hills 1917-18

2/4th in Cherat Hills 1917-18

Postby plbramham » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:10 pm

Regimental crest carved into the rocks in the Cherat Hills. ( Border Regt on extreme left) Cherat was a hill station (4,500 feet elevation ) and sanatorium for British troops above the village of Saleh Khana commanding a view over the whole of the Peshwar valley, part of the Khwarra valley and the Kohat district. It is in the Nowshera District of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, 34 miles south east from Peshawar . The British authorities built a hospital, church, and a few bungalows. During summer it was the headquarters of the Peshawar Division command, and of one of the two British regiments stationed at Peshawar. In the March 1901 census there were 376 inhabitants , but this rose to a garrison of sometimes 1,000 men in the hot season.
Attachments
india  rock 2nd 4th btn 1917  18_.jpg
india rock 2nd 4th btn 1917 18_.jpg (60.24 KiB) Viewed 5733 times
cherat hills crests.jpg
cherat hills crests.jpg (179.49 KiB) Viewed 5733 times
plbramham
General
General

Re: 2/4th in Cherat Hills 1917-18

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:36 pm

Hi

I have got a book regarding the brother (a carpenter) of the man who carved the badge into the hills. I will keep you posted on names etc
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby plbramham » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:40 am

Hi That would be interesting. Do we know where he was from?( a lot of 2/4th men were from Kendal area, hence my particular interest) I have seen a modern photo ( cannot post it - still in copyright obviously) and it appears that the crests have now been painted "gaudy" colours!
Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:55 pm

BorderRegiment3095 wrote:I have got a book regarding the brother (a carpenter) of the man who carved the badge into the hills. I will keep you posted on names etc

Please do as I find these carvings fascinating and would certainly like to learn more about them.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby timwils1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:45 pm

Hi
My grandfather was one of the people who carved the badge in the rocks, his name was 'a h viney,' and he was from Keswick. he was a monumental mason, from a long line of masons in the Keswick are, whose business name was Bromley. the following is from a newspaper cutting..'KESWICK

Well-known monumental mason and sculptor Mr. Ashley Hellon Viney died at his home at The Heads, Keswick. A native of Keswick, he served in India during the 1914-18 war and engraved the Border Regiment badge in rock near the hill station of Cherat on the North West Frontier. He also engraved the stone tablet on the history of the Royal Oak Hotel which is one the wall near the hotel’s front door and viewed by many visitors to Keswick.

regards tim
timwils1
Private
Private

Postby kerchi » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:09 am

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

In your email to me you mentioned a book that gives a brief history of his family of stone masons, what is it called?
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby timwils1 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:19 am

Its called the Bromley s of Keswick a family history, its currently at the museum in Keswick, being photocopied, its only a brief phamplet, but I have the cover somewhere so I shall post it,
thanks
timwils1
Private
Private

Postby kerchi » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:06 am

Tim, it must feel pretty amazing to know that your grandfather was one of the people involved creating it, something solid to stand the test of time. Other people have trinkets such as sweetheart brooches, trench art carvings etc. made by ancestors who were in the front line, some have letters or silks or other personal items they may have carried at the time. What would be impressive if you had a photo of him actually in the process of carving the Regimental Crest! Wishful thinking I know, but a fascinating thought all the same and definitely one for the mantlepiece ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby timwils1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:45 pm

kerchi wrote:Tim, it must feel pretty amazing to know that your grandfather was one of the people involved creating it, something solid to stand the test of time. Other people have trinkets such as sweetheart brooches, trench art carvings etc. made by ancestors who were in the front line, some have letters or silks or other personal items they may have carried at the time. What would be impressive if you had a photo of him actually in the process of carving the Regimental Crest! Wishful thinking I know, but a fascinating thought all the same and definitely one for the mantlepiece ;-)

Hi ive managed to get a pic of him from the 1900's, not sure how I display it on here.
timwils1
Private
Private

Postby kerchi » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:19 am

Hi Tim, you should be able to post the photo by using the "upload attachment" tab, which should be available to you now that I have changed your group settings. Any problems just let me know ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to 4th Battalion