South Lakeland 4th Border men in Maymyo 1915

Re: South Lakeland 4th Border men in Maymyo 1915

Postby Tomasi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:08 am

plbramham wrote:Group photos of 4th Border (territorials) from various South Lakeland towns and villages pictured at Maymyo, Burma, which appeared in The Westmorland Mercury & Times in several editions during 1915
(Sorry for the poor image quality but it is copied directly from a microfilm reader screen which has uneven illumination and the reproduction on microfilm is not great at recording images – very contrasty. The alternative is to have a printout but those results in a photocopy type give an even higher contrast result. Of course the original image in the paper would not have been great to begin with due to the massive dots on the printing screen used to make the blocks in those days.)
Click on image of newspaper to enlarge it for reading.
Paul.

Thanks for the photos, my grandfather was from Heversham 1904/200612 Pte Richard Barrell. Deceptive photo as he was over 6ft.
Tomasi
Private
Private

Postby plbramham » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Heversham eh? I know it well. My father's friend was born and lived there ( surname "Chamley") . He went to Heversham Grammar school . His father was a gardener who joined up quite early with Kings Royal Rifle Corps and was gassed but survived the war. His uncle was a Lancashire Fusilier, and is buried in a small cemetery near Ypres ( I have visited the grave which is a few yards from where the "double VC Chavasse" is buried. ( Brandhoek New Military Cemetery. ) They may well have known your ancestor?
CHAMLEY, J Corporal 202014 died 02/08/1917 age 24 Lancashire Fusiliers United
I will attach picture of the Heversham memorial at St Peter's church( there is the smaller original wooden memorial cross also still inside),
Regards Paul
Attachments
heversham St Peters.jpg
heversham St Peters.jpg (68.79 KiB) Viewed 7242 times
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Incidentally there is still a large house on the road on the hill leading from Milnthorpe to Heversham called "Maymyo". I believe it was built in 1920s by the town's postmaster, and so-named because his son had served there during WW1.

Incidentally "Maymyo" means " May's town" after a 19th century Colonel who was the commanding oficer there,

God, I'm full of useless information eh?!"

Cheers Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:52 pm

plbramham wrote:Incidentally there is still a large house on the road on the hill leading from Milnthorpe to Heversham called "Maymyo". I believe it was built in 1920s by the town's postmaster, and so-named because his son had served there during WW1.

Incidentally "Maymyo" means " May's town" after a 19th century Colonel who was the commanding oficer there,

God, I'm full of useless information eh?!"

Not at all Paul. I always find your input fascinating even when it might be something I already know or partially know. Without your encyclopaedic knowledge I would have missed a lot of "useful" information! ;-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:02 pm

Got it! The "Maymyo" house in Milnthorpe , Cumbria. Photo dates about 1922, thus when house newly built,
Paulp
Attachments
Maymyo house  Milnthorpe 1922.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:07 pm

How did you find this? It's not quite what I was expecting it be but I bet it's worth a bit today.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Previous

Return to 4th Battalion