IMG_1920.JPG
Supplies for the animals
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: 2/4th Captain Brooks Photo Album

Postby plbramham » Sun May 26, 2013 8:21 am

Hi,
What a brilliant album – I’m guessing that the photos were taken in the Peshawar region?
I have a great interest in the 4th Battalion in WW1 as many of the men were from Kendal, and indeed there are memorials in Kendal Parish Church to the 1/4th and 2/4th battalions.
Click this link to the church website: . http://kendalparishchurch.co.uk/warmem2.html , scroll down a little bit then, for the 1/4th memorial and transcript of inscribed names click the "Great War 1914-19" tab, and for the 2/4th click the "India & Mesopotamia 1915-19" tab
Also see my photos attached below of the plaques, plus a photo of the 4th Bn mobilising on 4th August 1914 at Kendal drill Hall where the territorials were based together with members of the RAMC West Lancashire Field Ambulance ( men on right of photo - small crosses on their upper arms)
You will note that the caption for your eagle picture reads that they were on the Mohmand Blockade. If you wondered what this was, this extract may explain ( from Wikipedia) : “The Mohmand Blockade (1916–1917) was a blockade formed by a series of blockhouses and barbed wire defences, along the Mohmand border on the North West Frontier by the Indian Army during World War I. The Blockade began after a number of Mohmand raids into Peshawar. The most important engagement occurred on 15 November 1916, at Hafiz Kor, when a large number of Mohmands were defeated. The Blockade was eventually lifted in July 1917 when the Mohmands finally submitted.”
Also take a look at this web page: http://www.king-emperor.com/photos-mohmand.htm
Regards Paul
Attachments
1914 1st 4th plaque_edited-1.jpg
1/4th plaque in Border Regiment chapel Kendal parish church
2nd4thplaque Kendal parish church.jpg
2/4th plaque in Border Regiment chapel Kendal parish church
4th Border & RAMC mobilise Kendal  4 Aug 1914.jpg
4th Border & RAMC mobilise outside Kendal drill hall 4th August 1914
plbramham
General
General

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:42 am

Here are some more pictures, there are many pictures of the Mohmand blockade.
There is an interesting one, maybe while they were being shipped over?
Attachments
IMG_1944.JPG
Captain Eadie and Brooks, with Dog
IMG_1942.JPG
No.7 Blockade N.W.F
IMG_1941.JPG
The buring of Jahing Apura
IMG_1940.JPG
Mohmand blockade
IMG_1939.JPG
Being shipped over?
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby plbramham » Sun May 26, 2013 10:25 am

Great pictures.

Do you mind if I give you a tip for copying photos? ( I was a press photographer for 26 years so I picked up a few trade secrets along the way!) To prevent camera shake and to increase the distance range you have in focus (depth of field) you need more light to give you a faster shutter speed and a smaller aperture. The solution is simple - take them outside! Bright cloudy weather is best so that you don't get shadows or reflections on shiny gloss pictures, but any lighting is bound to be brighter than indoors so you might like to give it a try and see if it helps.
Oh, also try to keep the photo you are copying square on to the camera so you don't get sloping edges. The easiest way is to put them on the floor, kneel down and bend over them, but watch you don't get your shadow over part of the picture. You need to have your shadow over all of it or none of it otherwise there will be a line through the image caused by the two levels of lighting in/out of shade. ( Mind you getting your shadow over ALL of the picture is actually often better as that helps to stop reflection and gives a uniform lighting level by making you a "human cloud" to soften any harsh sunlight).

Hope I don't sound cocky giving you these suggestions - they are just tips I picked up over the years and should help, regardless of how good or bad your camera is,

Regards Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby BorderRegiment3095 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:48 am

Hi

No not cocky at all, I'll give it a try. There are some interesting photos In the album, I will upload some and maybe put them in the gallery? Regarding the other post I will put some more up about him. He came from Penrith (my birth place) and when he came back he was a postman, I have all his certificates etc. Also I will put up some pictures of postcards of some C&WY men.

Cheers

Ben
BorderRegiment3095
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to 4th Battalion