3/4th Bn group photo

3/4th Bn group photo

Postby plbramham » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi, I've just been lent this group photo of the 3/4th Bn - the only picture or artefact I've ever seen for the 3/4th ( probably because they didn't exist for very long)
To quote our sister site( http://border-regiment.co.uk/index.php? ... r_Regiment ):
3/4th Formed as a third line or depot/training battalion and supplied drafts to 1/4th and 2/4th Battalions. In December 1915 the battalion moved to Ramsey on the Isle of Man and in April 1916 became a reserve battalion. The 3/5th Battalion was absorbed into the 3/4th Battalion on the 1 September 1916. It moved to Ripon in January 1917 and then to Scarborough in May and Filey in November of the same year.
(The 1/4th & 2/4th spent the WW1 period in Burma, India, and Mesopotamia)
Paul
Attachments
edit 3 rd4th.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: 3/4th Bn group photo

Postby kerchi » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:04 pm

A real gem there Paul so thanks for posting because I, too, have never seen a 3/4th Battalion group photo before. There seems to be, at least to me anyway, a few 'young' chaps in this photo, a couple definitely look younger than 18!

Could I use this for the 3/4th Battalion wiki page please?
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:06 am

kerchi wrote:Could I use this for the 3/4th Battalion wiki page please?

No problem.
I Had a thought about the young soldiers. As the age to go overseas was 19, perhaps volunteers under that age were put into the 3/4th (until they were 19) as they were a training unit never destined to go abroad who served drafts to the 1/4th & 2/4th? Also I seem to think that they were still taking "drummer boys" at age 14 during WW1? I remember seeing something of that nature during a programme about orphanage boys.
Incidentally in an early episode of Dad's Army, Cpl Jones states he joined as a drummer boy in 1884 - hence if he was 14 that's makes him born 1870, hence 70 in 1940 when he joins the Home Guard - just "overage" I believe, which was as portrayed by his character. I have read some accounts that his medal ribbons did not match the age he was supposed to be, and thus the campaigns he could have been in. I guess the costume people in the 1970s were not too fussy back them as long as he he a load of ribbons to wear on his tunic - and at least they are worn the right way up, unlike some you may spot on other programmes/films!
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:20 pm

plbramham wrote:I seem to think that they were still taking "drummer boys" at age 14 during WW1?

This was a trend that had obviously carried on from Wellington's Peninsular Wars and earlier. I am currently reading a book about Arthur Wellesley at the moment (though no mention of drummer boys) I have seen in other publications and tv documentaries mention of these boys enlisting even earlier than 14 years of age! And kids think they have it hard these days!
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:32 pm

plbramham wrote:I have read some accounts that his medal ribbons did not match the age he was supposed to be, and thus the campaigns he could have been in. I guess the costume people in the 1970s were not too fussy back them as long as he he a load of ribbons to wear on his tunic - and at least they are worn the right way up, unlike some you may spot on other programmes/films!
Paul

This is something I never noticed, although I was watching these as a child and didn't have an interest in history (and, of course, the war) in those days. It is interesting to think that when they were making Dad's Army one of the most important things was creative (and genuinely funny) writing that was brilliantly acted as opposed to something with less regard on historical accuracy and crap acting. Very different in its own right to today's tv and films......God forbid if anything is historically inaccurate......they will surely get a slating from the critics!

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Is this photo from the old chap you mentioned? Just wondering what image license I should use for the wiki.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi Chris,
Yes it's the first of his photos which I have on loan - he has no problems with sharing his images.
It'll be the 70 years plus licence, and also for the others unless I let you know otherswise,
Cheers Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Ok, thanks Paul.

Any many thanks to the generous donator ;-)

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to 4th Battalion