1/4th Maymyo Burma post 1916

1/4th Maymyo Burma post 1916

Postby plbramham » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:23 pm

Hello I have recently been given a diary, some documents and photos relating to an Ambleside soldier who served with 1/4th Border in Burma post 1916. I will scan and post them later , but for now here is a "taster". The territorial was Colin Capstick who is on the group photo. I will edit this post when I find out which one he is.

(The items have been given to me my his great niece whose husband is Mike Mason who was O/C Kendal army cadets, and an NCO with the KORBR TA in Kendal. He was also responsible for instigating the Border roll for honour for Kendal parish church,
Small world.)

Private COLIN CAPSTICK 201805 (perhaps originally 3310) 15th Platoon D Company 1/4th Border served Maymyo Burma from 1916
Two addresses for him: Rose Lea, Clappersgate, Ambleside,
And Wansfell View, Clappersgate, Ambleside.
He also served as a Corporal in C Company of 9th Bn Border Regiment Home Guard during WW2.

Regards Paul
Attachments
1st4th Border  Maymyo001.jpg
Capstick  MIC.jpg
Capstick  1911  census.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: 1/4th Maymyo Burma post 1916

Postby hussar1000 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:28 pm

If only we could put more names to faces in that photo!
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby kerchi » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:47 am

hussar1000 wrote:If only we could put more names to faces in that photo!

I agree. It would be great to see more of these chaps identified. There must be people out there who could possibly identify some of these chaps but a small, relatively unknown forum like this doesn't have the scope to put it "out there" so to speak. If that were the case I'd probably do that for ALL the photos of unidentified Border men on the forum and wiki.

Any suggestions on how this could be achieved very welcome.

I wonder what the dog was called? ;-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:54 am

I'd lay a far bet the dog was called something like "Bonzo"- popular pets name at the time!
Regarding publicising the forum, I am doing my best in South Lakeland. Certainly Kendal Town Council and local historians now know of it, also certain KORBR veterans. Just got to keep anyone informed should it occur to you, e.g. I informed Sedbergh School archivist about it and she was delighted to find it They had VCs and , pertinent to the Border Regiment e.g the Darwell family from Appleby area. One died at Gallipoli, the other became a Major post war.
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:02 am

Bit more research and refs to previous postings ( you know research is really not hard those days- 20 years ago I to go had to the National Archives in London to get this type of stuff and print it off from microfilm!)
This is about the Darwell brothers from Sedbergh School
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=635&p=7327&hilit=darwell#p7327
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:16 pm

plbramham wrote:Regarding publicising the forum, I am doing my best in South Lakeland. Certainly Kendal Town Council and local historians now know of it, also certain KORBR veterans. Just got to keep anyone informed should it occur to you, e.g. I informed Sedbergh School archivist about it and she was delighted to find it They had VCs and , pertinent to the Border Regiment e.g the Darwell family from Appleby area. One died at Gallipoli, the other became a Major post war.
Paul

It wasn't so much about publicising the forum per se, although that would be nice, more so identifying the men by way of maybe having a specific page with a photo (or set of photos) of these unidentified chaps with the title "Do you know any of these men?" or something along those lines if anyone has a better suggestion.

The page could show the same photo for say a month or so after which a different image could be used and the process repeats. The problem is getting as many people as possible (non-forum members specifically) to see the photo so they could make suggestions as to who they think they chaps could be. They don't have to be a member of the forum to make a suggestion....if that makes any sense.

Of course I thank you for putting the word out. I am glad that people who use the forum or wiki get something useful from it. For me it's always about the information rather than getting a lot of registrations, which is sadly the driving force for a lot of websites these days.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to 4th Battalion