4th Border photos

4th Border photos

Postby plbramham » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:30 am

Hi,
I'm slowly wading my way through a load of WW1 4th Border ( Kendal/ South Lakeland area) photos I have been lent. ( all out of copyright)
I think the file names are self explanatory for each, but captions also included.
Cheers Paul
Attachments
1914 calgarth camp wmere.jpg
Calgarth Camp Windermere 1914. Note in WW2 Calgarth became an aircraft factory for Sunderland flying boats. Named "White Cross Bay", because the Sunderlands in their primer paint looked like " White Crosses". There was a neighbouring "pre-fab village built for workers. Post WW 2 became a home for holocaust children survivors, and is now the site of The Lakes School. "White Cross Bay" caravan park, still has the rails in the tarmac laid for the aircraft production.
4th Border Terriorial ForceOct 1914.jpg
4th Border Territorials October 1914
4th border 1924   machine gunners  note  medals   centre left.jpg
4th Border Machine gunners 1924 note Sgt. with WW1 medals worn centre left
4 border  D  Company.jpg
4th Border, suspect pre WW1 training camp. Maybe the medal ribbons are Boer War or India/Africa - Haven't enlarged to check
4 Bn India 1916.jpg
4th Border India 1916. Maybe Red Fort Delhi behind? but forts did look similar!
1st 4th Border field   kitchen ww1.jpg
1st 4th Border Field kitchen - horse drawn cooker in background
1st 4th Border  Kyhber  pass ww1.jpg
4th Border Khyber Pass. The statute refers to the tiger mauling soldier ( 55th Regt I think , maybe 34th) - original wooden animatronic in V&A Museum London. ( Made for an Indian Prince "Tipu" something?)
plbramham
General
General

Re: 4th Border photos

Postby plbramham » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:03 pm

A couple more ( system will only take seven attachments per posting - but you can make postings of up to seven images, don't have to make separate ones up to that number )- hint . keep saving them , you don't want to get up to five in, then system crashes and you lose it al!. You can always post one or two then use "post reply" to add more.
Paul
Attachments
Scout Scar rifle range  early  un uniformed   volunteers.jpg
"Pre uniform" Kendal volunteers on Scout Scar firing range above the town . Maybe 8th Bn volunteers ( but there was an 11th Lonsdale company from Kendal) rather than 4th territorials though? I think territorials would have had uniforms?
4th boder shipley pre ww1.jpg
4th Border Shipley camp pre WW1
plbramham
General
General

Postby spike » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 am

re Scout Scar- what sort of guns are they?
I've never seen a picture of any similar guns WW1...
spike
General
General

Postby plbramham » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:08 am

Re rifle.
I really have no idea!
Maybe something left over from Boer War? , which territorials "adopted". Being a "pre uniform" volunteers 1914 period photo it would make sense that they would be having to use any weapons available for training eh?
They do seem unusual in that that have a " bi-pod support" to fire them? Is that a cylindrical chamber on top, like those used on a Lewis gun? Afraid weapons are not my speciality!
Any firearms experts out there? !
Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:54 am

As always Paul, great photos and interesting accompanying information. Really enjoy seeing the territorials in action or posing for a few group photos. As you mention they are on loan are they from a private collection?

Second picture: who would the girl be in the front row middle?
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:29 am

Maybe a "mascot" one of the soldier's daughters?
I've seen these on group photos - sons, daughters, dogs even eh?
Yes, a private collection , but they are happy to share the images,
Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:24 pm

I remember a mention of mascots in another thread or via email, namely in the form of animals, but using children as mascots is interesting if a little unusual considering the nature of war. Interesting idea though. What if some of the soldiers didn't like the child (maybe thought it was a brat or something and therefore unlucky), isn't a mascot something universally agreed?

Regarding the collection, whoever owns it is very lucky indeed! A mighty fine collection.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:52 pm

Hmm..
People were not as "namby-pamby" back then eh?
Maybe a case of " Let's stick xxxx's cute kid in the middle"?
Remember it was still quite a novelty to have your photo taken at this time, so a "treat" for the kid?
Just an idea, Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:10 am

I like all of those ideas, any one of them feasible.

We are definitely a much softer touch these days, a nanny state, but conversely we are also very much 'in-your-face': brash, arrogant, it's all about me etc. One thing I really enjoy about looking at these 'old' photos is how different people are in them. I guess photography was still a pretty big thing in those days, even though it had been around by about 70 years by WW1.

kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby hussar1000 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:34 am

Wonderful images, thanks for posting them.
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Next

Return to 4th Battalion