Pte Colin Capstick

Pte Colin Capstick

Postby plbramham » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:48 pm

Group photo and service doc for a territorial from Clappersgate, Ambleside, Westmorland . Served in India late 1915 then throughout WW1.

Private COLIN CAPSTICK, “D” Company, service no. 201865. 1/4th BORDER REGIMENT INDIA (front row third left)

Later Corporal in 9th Bn. ( Home Guard) Border Regiment during WW2.

Paul
Attachments
Capstick_edited-1.jpg
capstick  doc001.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: Pte Colin Capstick

Postby plbramham » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:31 pm

Unfinished tapestry of Border Regiment crest on some sort of hessian sack cloth with stencilled outline, by Pte Colin Capstick.

I guess as some sort of “boredom therapy ” ( I have stencilled maps drawn by my grandfather on a 1930s aircraft carrier.) Alternatively maybe some sort of recuperation in hospital ( probably not wounds- nasty illnesses in India/Burma during WW1!)

I have several other documents to this man which will follow. (e.g. WW1 Temperance certificate, WW2 9th Bn. Cumbria Border Regt.Home Guard)

Regards Paul

P.S I have placed the artefacts in a £1 Oxfam frame ( about two by three feet). Watch for frames in charity shops - good affordable way of display!
Attachments
capstick tapestry.jpg
capstick  frame  full.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:32 pm

1) Capstick temperance certificate.
2) Capstick listed as Ambleside men ( Westmorland) serving - many pages - not all Border Regt, so I've just posted relevant two.
3) Capstick WW1 notebook page, with hand drawn Border crest,
Attachments
capstick  temp doc.jpg
capstick  ambleside list001.jpg
capstick  WW1  notebook001.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:38 pm

1) Extra small photos from Capstick.
2) Capstick documents.
(Left click on image to enlarge)
Attachments
capstick  ww1  cards.jpg
capstick ww1 record docs001.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:40 pm

He continued to serve during The Second World War in the 9th Battalion Border Regiment Home Guard.
Attachments
Capstick  WW2  Border  home  guard001.jpg
capstick  WW2 Border  home  guard002.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby plbramham » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:06 pm

Where Capstick was Christmas 1918

1911 Encyclopedia Britannica (Out of copyright)
Jubbulpore
Or Jabalpur, a city, district, and division of British India in the Central Provinces. The city is 616 m. N.E. of Bombay by rail, and 220 m. S.W. of Allahabad. Pop. (1901), 90,316. The numerous gorges in the neighbouring rocks have been taken advantage of to surround the city with a series of lakes, which, shaded by fine trees and bordered by fantastic crags, add much beauty to the suburbs. The city itself is modern, and is laid out in wide and regular streets. A streamlet separates the civil station and cantonment from the native quarter; but, though the climate is mild, a swampy hollow beneath renders the site unhealthy for Europeans. Formerly the capital of the Saugor and Nerbudda territories, Jubbulpore is now the headquarters of a brigade in the 5th division of the southern army. It is also one of the most important railway centres in India, being the junction of the Great Indian Peninsula and the East Indian systems. It has a steam cotton-mill. The government college educates for the science course of the Allahabad University, and also contains law and engineering classes; there are three aided high schools, a law class, an engineering class and normal schools for male and female teachers. A native association, established in 1869, supports an orphanage, with help from government. A zenana mission manages 13 schools for girls. Waterworks were constructed in 1882.
The District Of Jubbulpore lies on the watershed between the Nerbudda and the Son, but mostly within the valley of the former river, which here runs through the famous gorge known as the Marble rocks, and falls 30 ft. over a rocky ledge (the Dhuan dhar, or "misty shoot"). Area, 3912 sq. m. It consists of a Jong narrow plain running north-east and south-west, and shut in on all sides by highlands. This plain, which forms an offshoot from the great valley of the Nerbudda, is covered in its western and southern portions by a rich alluvial deposit of black cotton-soil. At Jubbulpore city the soil is sandy, and water plentiful near the surface. The north and east belong to the Ganges and Jumna basins, the south and west to the Nerbudda basin. In 1901 the population was 680,585, showing a decrease of 9% since 1891, due to the results of famine. The principal crops are wheat, rice, pulse and oil-seeds. A good deal of ironsmelting with charcoal is carried on in the forests, manganese ore is found, and limestone is extensively quarried. The district is traversed by the main railway from Bombay to Calcutta, and by new branches of two other lines which meet at Katni junction. Jubbulpore suffered severely in the famine of 1896-1897, the distress being aggravated by immigration from the adjoining native states. Fortunately the famine of 1900 was less severely felt.
The early history of Jubbulpore is unknown; but inscriptions record the existence during the iith and 12th centuries of a local line of princes of that Haihai race which is closely connected with the history of Gondwana. In the 16th century the Gond raja of Garha Mandla extended his power over fifty-two districts, including the present Jubbulpore. During the minority of his grandson, Asaf Khan, the viceroy of Kara Manikpur, conquered the Garha principality and held it at first as an independent chief. Eventually he submitted to the emperor Akbar. The Delhi power, however, enjoyed little more than a nominal supremacy; and the princes of Garha Mandla maintained a practical independence until their subjugation by the Mahratta governors of Saugor in 1781. In 1798 the peshwa granted the Nerbudda valley to the Bhonsla princes of Nagpur, who continued to hold the district until the British occupied it in 1818.
The Division Of Jubbulpore lies mainly among the Vindhyan and Satpura hill systems. It comprises the five following districts: Jubbulpore, Saugor, Damoh, Seoni and Mandla. Area, 18,950 sq. m,; pop. (1901), 2,081,499.

Also see:
Click this clink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabalpur
plbramham
General
General

Postby hussar1000 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:24 am

Some great ephemera, thanks for posting. As a small time medal collector I love to see those lists of where soldiers were from and where they served. A great research tool.

Do you have the complete Ambleside list or just the pages shown?
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby plbramham » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:57 am

I do have the full Ambleside list, would you like me to copy and email them to you?
Not a problem, but might take a while with my slow computer. ( I know "posting the lot on this website would take ages to upload!)
Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:44 pm

What a great topic, very informative. I particularly like the hand-drawn Border Crest and the unfinished tapestry showing that he a penchant to express himself artistically. And he served in both wars; sounds like an interesting chap indeed. Did you start this research project based on having procured a specific item of Capstick's or was there some other reason?

Good idea with the frame as well. Ever since you first mentioned it to me a while back I, too, search the charity shops and by chance the Oxfam shop so far has been the best for picture frames (for my own photography).

Do you have a photo of Rose Lea or Wansfell View, Clappersgate? I have been through Clappersgate a few times on the way to the Great Lansdale Valley (one of my favourite places in the Lake District) but am not really familiar with the place as such.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby kerchi » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:57 pm

plbramham wrote: Not a problem, but might take a while with my slow computer. ( I know "posting the lot on this website would take ages to upload!)

Just an aside, but if there any documents you think would be too time consuming to post I would be happy to transcribe or post if you felt the project would be a worthwhile one in sharing for others. Just let me know Paul ;-)
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Next

Return to 4th Battalion