Pte Colin Capstick

Re: Pte Colin Capstick

Postby hussar1000 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:13 pm

I would like a copy and thanks for the offer, much appreciated.
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby plbramham » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:25 pm

Chris, You read my mind! I am thinking of going to Clappersgate to get photos of the houses. I especially think I should know Rose Lea - the address sticks in my mind for some reason. I have a feeling that they are on the right just before the turn off (from the Ambleside- Coniston road) ,over the Brathy bridge to go to Hawkshead. ( They are NOT "The Croft" - the large Georgian manor house, converted into flats in the 1970s - one of the first to being given such a conversion, just in time to save it from being demolished as an derelict uninhabited building)

I was given the documents by the great niece of Capstick, who is married to Mike Mason, who I worked with on the Kendal Border Regt roll of honour project.

I will scan and post the full Ambleside 1918 list, but it's of limited Border Regt interest ( of course many early volunteers, e,g, 8th & 11th Border) ,had been killed by 1918),

Paul
plbramham
General
General

Ambleside men 1918 no.1

Postby plbramham » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Here we go!
I will have to post these in several entries owing to attachment space, I have converted them to grayscale to save attachment size ( you are not missing anything, just grey/white instead of sepia!)
An amazing number of men serving from such a very small town, but of course by 1918 conscription was very much in force. I guess no men left in this small community under 40 years old !
Paul

P.S left click on image to enlarge
Attachments
Ambleside 1918 men bw 001.jpg
Ambleside 1918 men bw002.jpg
Ambleside 1918 men bw003.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Ambleside men 1918 no 2

Postby plbramham » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Here we go!
I will have to post these in several entries owing to attachment space, I have converted them to grayscale to save attachment size ( you are not missing anything, just grey/white instead of sepia!)
An amazing number of men serving from such a very small town, but of course by 1918 conscription was very much in force. I guess no men left in this small community under 40 years old !
Paul

Attachments
Ambleside 1918 men bw004.jpg
Ambleside 1918 men bw005.jpg
Ambleside 1918 men bw006.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Ambleside men 1918 no. 3

Postby plbramham » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:25 pm

Here we go!
Paul

Attachments
Ambleside 1918 men bw007.jpg
Ambleside 1918 men bw008.jpg
Ambleside 1918 men bw009.jpg
Ambleside 1918 men bw010.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:49 pm

plbramham wrote:Chris, You read my mind! I am thinking of going to Clappersgate to get photos of the houses. I especially think I should know Rose Lea - the address sticks in my mind for some reason. I have a feeling that they are on the right just before the turn off (from the Ambleside- Coniston road) ,over the Brathy bridge to go to Hawkshead.

It would definitely help with the story you have pieced together here for us, especially for those of us who don't get to your neck of the woods very often or are familiar with the places mentioned.

plbramham wrote:An amazing number of men serving from such a very small town, but of course by 1918 conscription was very much in force. I guess no men left in this small community under 40 years old !

I haven't counted them properly but at about 35-40 men per page that's 350-400 men just from Ambleside!! That's a staggering amount; I wonder what the population was of Ambleside then. I am not surprised there would have been little to no men left under the age of 40 by mid 1918.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Re: Staff Sergeant Cyril Watson sanitary section Egypt - I would not envy his job! Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:13 pm

It never occurred to me there was a sanitary section! I'm with you on that one, not a job I would enjoy doing, especially in the Egyptian heat; been there three times and the heat is overwhelming, even at night.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:00 am

Yes, I've been there too.
I'm guessing they burnt excrement in the drums from beneath the latrines with diesel.
Not so much the Egyptian heat problem, I'm thinking of the flies and the diseases they carried and spread.
(Yeah also what about dysentery - more "customers" for sanitary section!)
Paul.
P.S. My father served in Egypt during the 1950s Suez Crisis. He did get his General Service Medal - 50 years later!
plbramham
General
General

Postby hussar1000 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:40 pm

Thanks for posting the Ambleside list, most informative.
hussar1000
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to 4th Battalion