Private George Graham 2307

Topics about the Cavalry Regiment between 1828 to 1967.

Private George Graham 2307

Postby CStewart » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:20 pm

George Graham 1892-1916.jpg
George on Horseback
Whilst researching my Grandfather (William Peter Graham) WW1 service in Lonsdales, I think 'A' company I discovered that he had a brother in the Cumberland and Westmorland Yeomanry who died 15/5/15 in Flanders. I have a good photograph of him and his service record (very brief) and believe he was cavalry. Can anyone point me towards any further information on this regiment.
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: Private George Graham 2307

Postby CStewart » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:29 pm

P1010109.JPG
Since writing the previous post I have made further discoveries about the W &CY and my great uncle. It looks like he may have joined as a TA based on a photograph which I think he is wearing the W&C Y TA uniform and badge. Can anyone confirm this for me please? Hopefully photograph attached.
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby CStewart » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:40 pm

You will see from this attached photo the effect the war had on him within the year, he looks a different person and seemed to have developed the 1000 yard stare! Hardly surprising as his battalion seemed to have been, according to the war diaries based just west of Lens in 14/15.
Attachments
George Graham.jpg
George Graham.jpg (100.04 KiB) Viewed 6893 times
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby spike » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi Sorry for the delay, I've had a bit of a busy Xmas

I have touched on the W&C Yeomanry on my website on the 7th Border Regiment, not much, but due to the fact they were amalgamated with the 7th Border on 22nd September 1917 when the battalion became known as the 7th Westmorland and Cumberland Yeomanry Battalion, Border Regiment.
Prior to this I believe they were split up in Squadrons and used as Cavalry Troops attached to other Cavalry Units- 1915-1916
and were brought together as a unit again in May 1916. In July 1917 it was decided they would retrain as infantry troops.
High_JW.jpg
High_JW.jpg (27.49 KiB) Viewed 6878 times

The badge on the photo looks more like Border Regiment, whose TA he may have been in (The Territorial Battalion of the Border Regiment was the 5th Battalion), than the Yeomanry Badge. Even the horseback picture looks like a Border Badge.
WCYeomanrybadge.jpg

Perhaps he was an accomplished horseman in the territorials and joined the Cavalry due to this........

Could I have a copy of one of the pictures of George as he features on my 7th Border Roll Of Honour War Grave site, please ( I have yet to get a picture of his headstone - I decided to add the pre amalgamation W&C men only last year)
SPIKE

LINK - Border Regiment in the Great War Websites
(right click and open in new tab)

In memory of -19455 Private John Farrer,
A Company 11th Border Regiment k.i.a. 1st July 1916
spike
General
General

Postby CStewart » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:48 pm

You are most welcome to a picture, I also have several pictures of his gravestone two are the originals sent to the family one a cross and the other a headstone and more taken by us just before Christmas this year when we visited the Abbeville cemetery. Which would you like?
I believe that he worked with horses and certainly the family farmed with horses as did my grandad, his brother. As George died in 1916 this was pre amalgamation and as he was a good horseman assumed he was used as mounted troops or at least handling horses. The last census info we have for him placed him as working with horses in 1911.
We know that he was near Bethune in January 1916 because he sent a postcard home. The war diaries place them near Noeux les Mines and the outskirts of Loos in September 1915. As I understand it from front line maps, very much in the thick of it - no wonder his appearance changed so dramatically.
Please let me know which photographs you would like and how to get them to you.
Carol
Attachments
WW1 postcard GG.jpg
Photo of Bethune (censored comment top right)
George Graham war grave.jpg
War grave photo
George G war grave wooden cross.jpg
Initial cross on grave
IMG_9425.JPG
Abbeville cemetery Dec 2015
IMG_9420.JPG
Taken 15.12.2015
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby CStewart » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:27 pm

By putting these together I have realised that the most recent view of the gravestone has a different date of death yet surely it should be the same stone only a hundred years later. Date of death on everything else is May 15th 1916 and the postcard written home was dated Jan 1916. On your roll of honour you have KIA where can I find details on that? we only have 'died' on the information we have and just assumed that he was one of the unlucky ones to die of illness. Abbeville cemetery seemed to serve a military hospital and was an extension of the town cemetary .
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby spike » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:23 pm

The KIA is my mistake, I apologise for that. I will change the site, obviously Abbeville graves are unlikely to be a KIA
( in my defence I have 4 sites with about 4000 grave listings and some slip through the checking procedeure)

I can only presume the Wooden cross was original and in error, when the then IWGC (now CWGC) were recording and
quantifying the details of the dead after the war the details and information they had lead to the first stone grave marker
being dated May 15th 1916 and all subsequent ones.
I will PM you via this forum with my email address to send the pictures to
Could I have copies of
A picture of George( the one in Yeomanry Uniform (1000 yd stare one)
A picture of the Wooden Cross
A picture of his Headstone (the colour one)
A general view of Abbeville Cemetery (or two if you have them)
I also would not say no to the black and white headstone picture either
All pictures will appear on site marked "Courtesy of C Stewart"
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby CStewart » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:35 pm

You are most welcome to any photos I have as it means that the memory will live on longer. The war graves commission are amazing and immediately you visit one of their cemeteries it strikes you how well cared for the memory of every one of the fallen is by them. We visited Ypres last December (2014) and The Somme this December (2015). It was emotive visiting the Ypres sites last year but finding the 2 graves on the Somme which were family were just something else. The other one was a RE, sapper buried in Corbie but we also had a location of the place he was wounded, as mentioned in the war diaries to a specific field near Mericourt to visit too which was mind blowing. I notice you are in Carlisle - I do hope you stayed dry?
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby spike » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:52 pm

I notice you are in Carlisle - I do hope you stayed dry?

I live just over the brow of one of the highest hills in Carlisle, Noah would be at B&Q trying to buy up all the wood before
the river reached our house......

I was once told always sign the the Register at The CWGC Sites and comment on how well kept they are.....
The commission need this feedback so they can show the powers that be that their work is invaluable
and just how many visitors they get at a particular Cemetery.

Please just email me with all the information you can spare on George Graham. If you PM (Personal Message )
me back with your email, it would be handy then we have two chances of getting it right.
SPIKE

spike
General
General

Postby CStewart » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:26 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply, pleased that you stayed dry. I have sent the photos as an album to your email. so hope that they have arrived and that you can open them. We did sign the visitors book and commented on the immaculate condition of all the cemeteries we visited. I also have a few more photos of other cemeteries if they would be useful.
CStewart
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Next

Return to Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry