Watering horses at Lowther 1914

Topics about the Cavalry Regiment between 1828 to 1967.

Watering horses at Lowther 1914

Postby plbramham » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:33 am

Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry watering their horses at camp on the Lowther estate in 1914.
Click on image to enlarge to full screen view, Paul
Attachments
west&cumb yeo 1914 lowther001_edited-1.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Re: Watering horses at Lowther 1914

Postby CockneyTone » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:52 am

Paul,
what a wonderful photo, thanks for sharing it. Makes me wonder how many of these young men and beautiful beasts where still around by the end of 1914?

Kind regards,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby plbramham » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:49 pm

CockneyTone wrote: Makes me wonder how many of these young men and beautiful beasts where still around by the end of 1914? Kind regards, Scottie

Happily, most of these lads did still have a bit of life left in them as the W&C Yeo did not really do much until they were absorbed into the 7th Bn Border much later in the war on 22nd September 1917- though then they certainly did take casualties! I don't know about the fate of the horses as of course their riders fought as infantry in the 7th Bn. I can't see the animals being left standing idly by in stables when there was such a demand for horses , I presume they would have been transferred to other units who were not operating as dismounted cavalry? Paul
P.S. Some W &C Yeo were in Ireland so I guess they retained their mounts - see Spikes site http://www.freewebs.com/7borderandyeo/index.htm
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:19 pm

Great photo. It's good to see the horses being looked after (although you can't really say for sure in one snap shot). I absolutely hate any mistreatment of animals and being in a state of war was (and still is) no excuse for any form of animal cruelty so when I see images of the horrors these poor horses had to endure fills me with dread and sadness, especially the grisly end some of them came to. At least in this one image they seem in good health and taking a well earned break probably.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Return to Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry