Kendal museum W&C Yeo exhibits

Topics about the Cavalry Regiment between 1828 to 1967.

Re: Kendal museum W&C Yeo exhibits

Postby plbramham » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:13 am

Thanks,
I just find to comprehend how these "officer class" people inherited such vast amounts of properties all over the country (remember poor transport - probably not even railways). I bet many never actually visited the houses/estates they owned/inherited "in the provinces"?
Thoughts anyone?
Regards Paul
plbramham
General
General

Postby kerchi » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:51 am

plbramham wrote:I bet many never actually visited the houses/estates they owned/inherited "in the provinces"?
Thoughts anyone?
Regards Paul

This would be true also if they had no interest in ever visiting a place they had been lucky enough to inherit. Imagine owing a property you have never been to? Something I can't comprehend, especially if it was a property that might have been large enough to dominate its surroundings.

I guess some families were just wealthier than others (middle, upper middle and, of course, the pomposity of upper class too) and they didn't think anything of owning multiple properties. Maybe travelling long distance without decent transport was enough to put them off ever going. If it was me I would want to visit on a regular basis, maybe even live there and in many respects know as much about the place I had just inherited property. But that's just me ;-)

Class systems do affect how people think and, ultimately, behave.
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby plbramham » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:30 pm

More info re: "rare RFC memorial" ( thanks to Mike Deacon)
Thompson was also ex Westmorland and Cumberland Yeomanry!
Just pasting this which I have sent to Kendal museum:
Re: the "rare Royal Flying Corps" grave 2nd Lt. J.G. Thompson at Selside church, he had previously ALSO been Westmorland and Cumberland Yeomanry! He went to France in 1915 (thus entitling him to the 1915 Star , BWM, Victory medal trio) as a trooper (cavalry equivalent of "private") , then promoted to Corporal. He then transferred to RFC as was given a commission as 2nd Lt, and I suspect died in a flying training accident. Hence "home burial".

I seems to me that a lot of men from the area just North of Kendal (Selside, Garnett Bridge etc.) were in the W & C Yeomanry. ( Maybe because the "Lords of the Manor, e.g. Fothergill, were their employers?)

I will attach his medal card,
Paul
Attachments
Thompson W&C  Yeo.jpg
plbramham
General
General

Previous

Return to Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry