Spion Kop on TV

Topics about the Regiment during the 2nd Boer War.

Spion Kop on TV

Postby plbramham » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:19 am

Anyone see Spion Kop featured as part of the Channel 5 TV series "Charley Boorman's South African Adventure" on Wednesday night 16/1/13?
I wonder, is "Boorman" an Afrikaans surname? I certainly think Boer-man would be!
Paul.
plbramham
General
General

Re: Spion Kop on TV

Postby mrdeacon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:11 pm

No Paul i missed it.
mrdeacon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby CockneyTone » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:46 am

Paul,

yes I did see it (twice? as I watched in on Ch5 + 1 directly after as well!)

The chap guiding Boorman on Spion Kop was Ray Heron, if anybody ever visits he also owns/runs the local Hotel; http://www.spionkop.co.za/index.cfm?pageID=14
I have not stayed there but shared a 'sundowner' with him on the balcony over looking Spion Kop!
Boorman? could be a Boer name, I will look into it!

The first bit of the programme they were in Lesoto and the Drakensburg, during my trip out there I had the fantastic experience of having a helicopter flight over the Drakensburg that was amazing!

When (if) I return to South Africa I have promised myself a trip into Lesoto, but not on an 'icy day' like they tried!

Kind regards,
Scottie
Kind regards,
Scottie
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby kerchi » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:57 am

Sorry guys, I did not get to see this. I don't watch much tv these days but it sounds like a great programme; I always enjoy watching Charlie Boorman on his adventures (though I preferred it when he was travelling the world with Ewan McGreggor in 'The Way Round' and the 'The Long Way Down', which I loved and bought). I have another of his documentaries 'By Any Means', so I might end up buying the dvd when it comes out and add it to the collection
In memory of John Bardgett (15309 L/Cpl.), 11th Border Regiment who died 1st July 1916.

Any problems, comments or questions about the forum? Contact me at: admin@border-regiment-forum.com
kerchi
Field-Marshal
Field-Marshal

Postby CockneyTone » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:45 am

Chris,
I am sure it will be repeated, in a subsequent programme he had a quick look at the Zulu battlefields as well. Although I like Boorman I really feel that the amazing scenery and countryside was really the 'star of the show'
Best wishes,
Scottie.
CockneyTone
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to The Boer War